Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I just don't get coins.  (Read 10221 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't get coins.
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:35 pm »

It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Is this not the point of most things in DF?
Gloriously stupid or stupidly glorious.

Both apply. With occasional doses of brilliance, and magma.

Hmm a vault that floods itself with magma if someone tries to make a withdrawal...
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »

Hmm a vault that floods itself with magma if someone tries to make a withdrawal...

That would give whole new meaning to the term "liquid assets".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:57 pm »

That's easy. Just put a pressure plate inside the door, linked to a floodgate. The hard part is getting it to not flood everything else too. And, hopefully, getting it to auto-reset.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:28 pm »

I just mint iron coins, because dorfs will not use them and since they have no quality modifier, they are a good project for newbie metalsmiths to train on.

Also, I like to think they get the full 100 damage material modifer when I throw them at goblins in adventure mode.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 10:38:22 pm »

When you throw coins as an adventurer, do you throw only 1 at a time?

If so, there's your use - virtually unlimited throwing  :D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »

That would give whole new meaning to the term "liquid assets".
I can't tell which hurts more: the magma or that pun.

Sad part is that isn't the first horrible "liquid assets" pun I've heard...

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:06 pm »

That's easy. Just put a pressure plate inside the door, linked to a floodgate. The hard part is getting it to not flood everything else too. And, hopefully, getting it to auto-reset.

Link the door(s) to the vault to a lever. When the trap goes off, have a not-burning dwarf pull the lever, trapping the victim inside.

For draining, grates that empty into a pit (or your magma moat outside your fort or a goblin prisoner chamber). Then wait for the magma to fill up again (if it's a magma pipe).

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 01:28:55 am »

I never mint coins. My dwarves seem to be so tickled by flinging fistfuls of coins into the stratosphere and then spending half a lifetime hauling them everywhere.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 01:32:05 am »

When you throw coins as an adventurer, do you throw only 1 at a time?

If so, there's your use - virtually unlimited throwing  :D

Yeah, coins come in stacks of 500 in dwarf mode. So you can throw 500 times, they weigh almost nothing and due to the over-powered nature of thrown objects in adventure mode, they are very lethal.

I like to think the iron coins I'm throwing are lethal serrated-edged shurikens or something.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 03:15:10 am »

I'm just hoping there's going to be a 'purse' or 'wallet' item for dwarves soon enough. Like quivers are for bolts, except then for every dwarf and for coins. That should make the economy and coins more bearable.

Also, make it out of rope reed cloth, by the time the economy sets in people will have plenty of rope reed cloth and/or elf corpses. Maybe some leather(All the low priced leather from human caravans..) and maybe metal(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)

Or they could just use their pockets?

Yeah, but you really want cutpurses to have something to cut.

Well, I have some problems with using coins, even with a purse.

1) Will coins have mass?  This doesn't mean too much normally, but consider that some of my pump operating, book keeping dwarves have 5-digit accounts...  That is a LOT of coins to be hefting around on a shoulder strap.

2) Will coins teleport to their owner as they perform their work?  If not, then you still have the problem of dwarves quitting their jobs to go grab more money from the pile.  How far away is that money pile from every single work station?  Just thinking of the inefficiencies makes me shake my head.

1) Not really issue if they only carry limited amount and keep rest in coffer (as they should). Besides, you could upgrade their lifestyle to level where it matches their income (ooooh, how nice, i got masterwork bed! WHAT!? My rent got increased!?)

Also, building well-stocked shops with luxuries ought to empty their accounts too.

Last, but not least, I hope for aditional currency grades (i.e. precious gems acting as ~ 100¤ to 1000¤)

2) Frankly, managing payments sounds awesome.

I would envision book keeper or manager dwarf to get aditional duty of having to distribute salasier every season. He would either just hunt down dwarves and hand them money or just sit in office with sack of coins and let others come to him and claim their paycheck.

Alternate possiblity is to use existing squad structure: organize civilian dwarves to squads which appoints suqad leader to "manager" or "foreman" position that is responsible for salary distribution (and work orders).

That way, if you have useless dwarf you have another possiblity beyond drafting him to army: promote him to management, let him handle paychecks for actually usefull dwarves!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 04:05:05 am »

That way, if you have a useless dwarf you have another possiblity beyond drafting him to army: promote him to management, let him handle paychecks for actually usefull dwarves!

Hey now, lets not get too realistic here, this is a fantasy game, remember?

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 05:06:20 am »

It would probably be way better to have an area you can designate as Vault or such and have coin's value be calculated on fortress worth, and have dwarves just track how much coins they have and not go run off to put them in their room but in the vault area...

It would probably leave any vault square covered in a layer of 1 something coins, and you'd need a bag to put them in or something to keep that from happening.

Also you could add in permit-selectable doors and a banker profession to haul coins in and out...followed by dwarves bringing coins to shops and then the dwarves returning all the coins to the bank/vault.

Economy and coins are broken right now.

/cry
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]