Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: for the sake of mechanical sanity...  (Read 586 times)

teabing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
for the sake of mechanical sanity...
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

I think it's time we get the option to have the option to have lever-operated buildings have their states inverted.  For example, instead of having every door be closed when its lever is pointed left, I think we should have the option to 'invert' the two states upo linkage.

This would allow much more complex and create traps and designs to be made, as well as cutting down on the number of lever the average fortress planner has to deal with.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: for the sake of mechanical sanity...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

you can already sorta do this by using bridges as the normally open version of a flood gate.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

I have this idea, I no longer know where it came from, but its out there already. I do not remember if I was the only one who created it, or if other people added inspiration.

here it is:

each lever would have a list of everything it is connected to.
after each object, there will be one of the following characters:

r: regular.
i: inverted.
t: toggle: opens if closed, closes if open.
o: open: only opens.
c: close: only closes.

I may have missed something, I will be back with an earlier quote or two.

the more recent old one, from FOTF2:

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>actually, I think I one posted about advanced lever choices.
it would look like this:

code:

[the lever]"nickname"
-[object1][object name](t,o,c,r,i)
-[object2][object name](t,o,c,r,i)

in game:
code:

steel lever "permamagmaflood"
-steel floodgate, "magma 1", o
-steel floodgate, "magma 2", o
-stone floodgate, "river", c

the t o or c is

toggle, open, close, regular, or inverted.
regular closes on up, opens on down, inverted does the opposite, toggle does not care about the trigger's state, open and close do not care about either the trigger's state or the triggered object's state.

and if you move the selection over one of the objects, it will shift your view to it, and let you disconnect it, or change the setting.

I think I was the one who expressed the (r,i,o,c,t) thing, but that was months ago.
[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]</STRONG>

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]
ye olde topic where it first began
hey!! I predicted the future there.  :D

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Even if you couldn't toggle it later, it could be useful to store the relative state of the lever and its target when setting up the mechanism.  IOW, if your lever is to the right when you hitch up a closed floodgate, then moving the lever to the left will open the floodgate.  If you then connect a closed floor hatch to that same lever, the lever would open the hatch and close the floodgate when moved to the right.

That wouldn't be as simple to control as having toggles on the lever's detail page, but it would prevent having as much visual clutter to the controls and make logical sense.

It would nice to have a simpler disconnect option for levers, hopefully tied with a view of what they are currently linked to, however they end up working.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>I have this idea, I no longer know where it came from, but its out there already. I do not remember if I was the only one who created it, or if other people added inspiration.

here it is:

each lever would have a list of everything it is connected to.
after each object, there will be one of the following characters:

r: regular.
i: inverted.
t: toggle: opens if closed, closes if open.
o: open: only opens.
c: close: only closes.

I may have missed something, I will be back with an earlier quote or two.

</STRONG>

i like this idea, slightly related it would be nice to be-able to see a list of things the lever is connected up to and for anything qued to be rigged up to be removed from the list when choosing what to attach it to

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aygar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:00 am »

IMO what would be most flexible would be to have every item that can output a value have both a regular and notted outputs.  Then have a new mechanism set of logic gates that would accept 2 inputs and provide an output pair.  These would be the basic logic gates AND, OR, and XOR.  This would let you do every thing that you have described so far and so much more.

In addition I would like to see a reset input on levers so that a pressure switch could cause it to return to its original position.

It would be awesome to have a graphical representation of the monstrosity that was just assembled.

Aygar

ilage THEN burn.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

You can invert the lever in the example with the door as follows: Pull the lever one time before linking it to the door.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

I don't think that lasts: when I linked 2 floodgates to a lever and pulled it to open them, I then added 2 more floodgates, and pulled the lever twice more. Now all 4 gates were open.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.