Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big fish tameable?  (Read 933 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big fish tameable?
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »

Can I tame carp without modding? I plan on making a fort entirely accesible to both fish and dwarves, but this would only work if I could tame the carp.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Big fish tameable?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »

And you want to mod pikmin, as well?

You're one crazy player... I feel a slight twinge of jealousy coming on.

What you need to do is go to the raws of whatever fish you are looking for, and make sure that either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tags are there.

Carp don't have the [PET] tag, even though they (oddly) have [PETVALUE], which sets their value as pets.  You can, however, mod that into their raws.

I'm not sure if it is really possible to tame aquatic creatures under normal circumstances, however, as I haven't tried it. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:35 pm »

I seem to remember someone doing this. They had to flood the kennels to 4/7 to stop the fish drowning while allowing the trainer access.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:44:39 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

There was a guy a while back who not only tamed carp, but made them into War Carp.

The latter is rather tricky. Taming consists of bringing the tamer to the carp cage, which isn't too hard once you get the carp in the cage, but training them requires walking the fish over to the kennel, which can be... problematic.

EDIT: ack, ninja'd
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »

Yeah, I was playing it out in my head, and thought it would be something like that, but I wouldn't want to say something without experience.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:28:03 pm »

The idea of a fort equally accessible to water critters as well as your dorfs sounds really interesting. I'm picturing waterways alongside each tunnel, with little bridges over them when they crisscross. Very catacomb/large sewer-y. Keep us updated!

For bonus points (because DF is practically made of bonus points), give your dwarves [UNDERSWIM] and you can force encourage them into the deeper water (as in, multiple-z of water) to hang out with their pets, so long as they're regular swimmers as well (unless you want to give 'em [SWIMS_INNATE] as well)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:32 am »

I think they'll still give you "Dangerous Terrain" cancellation messages if it is over 4/7 water.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:35 pm »

Yeah, even with the modded magmaproof, [NOBREATHE] dorfs I use for mechanics testing, they still complain if they have to work underwater (or under magma).  I think it's just because the pathing algorithm is hardcoded to care about that sort of thing, and there's nothing we can do about that. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:32:34 am »

then give the [NOBREATH] tag to the carp, and don't use any water at all! duh!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...