Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McFisherdwarf; Provider and... Olympian?  (Read 929 times)

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McFisherdwarf; Provider and... Olympian?
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »

so just this morning I was working on the fourth vertical layer of my obsidian tower mold when a Titan decided to come and visit.

I mustered the troops at the front door, and called all the dwarves into the hole, and after 5 minutes, wondered where our friendly neighborhood titan had gone.

Looking in the Units screen, I saw he was still about, and went to his location, only to see him hot on the heels of one of my foolish suicidal brave fisherdwarves who had decided that the safe fishing pond in the middle of my tower mold was not where he wanted to fish.

Just as I found them, the Titan caught up and punched a hole right through the middle of poor Urist McFisherdwarf, before falling unconscious from overexertion.

I sent my legendary Macedwarf out to play golf with his sleeping face.

The crazy thing is, the titan has been slain for the better part of a season, has not rotted, and none of my dwarves are willing to go pick up his corpse for butchering, because apparently in death the titan is just as scary as he was before he was beaten toothless by my Champion.

Oh well, I'll have some handy titan face totems and some bone greaves to play with shortly, if he ever decides to rot.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McFisherdwarf; Provider and... Olympian?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:02 pm »

Did the dwarf survive?

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

In the orders menu, check to make sure you don't have your orders set as "Ignore Outside Refuse" That's likely the culprit. (as far as bringing it to your refuse stockpile).

Hmmm, Fisherdwarves do seem to be more prone to accidents then most other dwarfs.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »

Did the dwarf survive?

Oh no. He bled out from the gaping hole in his chest by the time that the Champ came over to twist the head off the Titan.

@Calhoun: I actually hadn't set the "zone only fishing" order, which meant that he could meander off to pull fish from the river if he felt so inclined. Frankly, it's worth the life of a fisherdwarf to know that if you can kite them long enough, Megabeasts get tired and have to lay down for a nap.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »

Ah. Normally i create a small lake inside some interior walls for my fisherdwarf, though in my current fort, the only river is an UG river that i haven't yet discovered, so i'm considering just abandoning fishing all together for the time being. I've had two close encounters with Dark Elf ambusher's. Luckily the fisherdwarf started out as a miner, so he's got level 3 agility and was able to out run them.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:57:38 am »

Titans aren't edible. Sentient.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 03:10:50 am »

Fisherdorfs brave death every day, just to haul in some turtle shells for their moody friends.  He probly saw the Titan and was like "sweet maybe I will get injured and not have to brave the carp pools for a while" 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:36 am »

fisherdwarves should be praised, not as much as hunter dwarves.

Flood the world with magma and hope you can drain it out and have a nice roast titan waiting for you
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.