Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find a fun location?  (Read 2037 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to find a fun location?
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

Hey guys.
I spent the last time in df with the search for a challenging location to disembark, but I cant seem to find one which is simultaniusly hazardous and rich with ores/funstuff/general features.
I'm tired if playing a fort that is just in some mountain with nothing to realy treaten you besides the occasionaly goblin siege (Which are rather a joke)
and simply carve your legendary dining hall into the mountainside and to start some ridiculously oversized megaproject.
So I started wondering, how all the successionforts out there get those fun locations, and because I cant figure it out myself, I ask you.
So if anyone has got some tips for worldgen parameters or some mod I would appreciate.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:56:29 pm by Spectre »

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: How to find a fun location?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »

the orc mod will make any location a whole bunch of Fun
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:02 pm »

the orc mod will make any location a whole bunch of Fun

This. Or just get Dig Deeper, it adds a bunch of other content as well.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

I looked at the modlist thread, but couldnt really make sense out of it.
Is there a list, what exactly Dig Deeper does to df?

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:22:36 pm »

The download page (in the file depot) has a list on it. I would personally vouch for it. DD is my favorite mod.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »

Relentless Assault assaults relentlessly.  It adds a handful of civs that hate you and attack constantly. 

Dig Deeper ads all kinds of new content, I like it alot.  New metal, creatures large and small, Orcs that hate you and siege early. 

As for making location more Fun, I have a couple worldgen strategies.  Increase the number of mountain regions (not tiles), increase rivers, possibly increase erosion cycles.  Increase (by 2-4 times at least) the number of evil tiles in various region sizes.  Increase volcanism variances up to 1600 (max) and up the minimum number of volcanos.  If you are hunting for the ever popular flux + magma combo, consider increasing the ratio of low (0-20) and high (80-100) volcanism tiles.  I believe that will reduce the amount of boring middle stuff like granite and gabbro that you find everywhere.  Look for tiny mountain regions of 1-10 tiles sitting in the middle of some other area, those often get eroded heavily and that can concentrate all the chasms and fun stuff into a handful of tiles right next to a flatland region. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:19:01 pm »

I think I just have to have a look at DD.
Plus a try on this
Increase the number of mountain regions (not tiles), increase rivers, possibly increase erosion cycles.
and this
If you are hunting for the ever popular flux + magma combo, consider increasing the ratio of low (0-20) and high (80-100) volcanism tiles.  I believe that will reduce the amount of boring middle stuff like granite and gabbro that you find everywhere.  Look for tiny mountain regions of 1-10 tiles sitting in the middle of some other area, those often get eroded heavily and that can concentrate all the chasms and fun stuff into a handful of tiles right next to a flatland region. 
Thanks guys.
Of course, if someone still has some great hints up there sleeve, they are allways welcome.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:03:15 am by Spectre »

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:55:09 am »

You can also increase your chances of finding suitable tiny mountain areas a lot by fiddling with the elevation parameters.
If you don't need high peaks or oceans, you can try for example elevation min 150,  max 350 and upping the x and y variation to 1600.

You will need to change these parameters as well, otherwise you will get nothing but rejects:
Min mountain peak number: 0 (since lowering max elevation means no more peaks)
Min edge oceans, initial & final ocean squares: 0 (since increasing min elevation means no more oceans)
Max number of subregions: 5000

It's also usually a good idea to turn on LOG_MAP_REJECTS:YES in the init when playing with the worldgen parameters.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:19 am »

You can also increase your chances of finding suitable tiny mountain areas a lot by fiddling with the elevation parameters.
If you don't need high peaks or oceans, you can try for example elevation min 150,  max 350 and upping the x and y variation to 1600.

You will need to change these parameters as well, otherwise you will get nothing but rejects:
Min mountain peak number: 0 (since lowering max elevation means no more peaks)
Min edge oceans, initial & final ocean squares: 0 (since increasing min elevation means no more oceans)
Max number of subregions: 5000

It's also usually a good idea to turn on LOG_MAP_REJECTS:YES in the init when playing with the worldgen parameters.

I tried this, but it seems somethings missing
The rejectionlog prints:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also got a waring in worldgen itself. Something about low elevations and that the game might not be able to make a elevation from 1-99.
But I didnt really understand that one too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:02:31 am by Spectre »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

You may like these params:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It creates a medium sized world, thats about 50% evil and 50% good, with a bit of neutral savage areas thrown in here and there. You can often get unicorns and undead giant eagles in the same map!  It'll also have a magma pipe in nearly every  region tile. Mountainous region  tiles will almost always have all the features (HFS,pipes,chasms, ect).  Flux however tends to be fairly rare, as  are aquifers; I've only ever found an aquifer once. Another potential turn off is that you wont find huge mountains, as this generates a world with relativly low elevation changes.  All-n-all it creates some fun maps with or without dig deeper.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »

Ah, yes. You probably need to zero (or just decrease) some of the other Minimum Initial X Square/Region Count parameters to get rid of the rejects from my earlier parameters.

But the parameters supplied by Tcei are more complete. If you want flux there, you can try the following changes:
[VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:100:1:1:1:200]
This way you get some low volcanism spots for flux and some high volcanism spots for magma.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:22:04 pm by Zalminen »
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »

Using the world painter can help find nice sites too.  Particularly if you generally know what you are looking for.

If you want seaside forts with high cliffs, stick a number of high elevation tiles right next to low elevation and you should end up with some mountain tiles directly touching ocean.  Then you just make sure you have a large number of them to make sure you get other features you can't edit that you want.  If you want some danger you can probably max out savagery at the site. Want magma? Stick in some high volcanism. Want magma AND flux? Make one tile high volcanism and everything around it 0 vulcanism.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:53 am »

But the parameters supplied by Tcei are more complete. If you want flux there, you can try the following changes:
[VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:100:1:1:1:200]
This way you get some low volcanism spots for flux and some high volcanism spots for magma.

I added this to the the data provided by Tcei.
And I have to say it creates awsome results!
The world looks like some god made a swamp and jerked some rocks at it, but that's not a point we can care about.
I searched for a 6x6 side with Flux, a river, a pool, a magma vent, a pit and hfs and got results like after 10 tiles!