Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: safe magma pumping  (Read 1686 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
safe magma pumping
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:52:26 pm »

Magma Pumping,
   So I have never had magma forges, mainly because I can not find the vents but have recently had some success finding one and setting up an area, the problem is the vent is capped and requires me to pump the magma up 2 levels.  I have the parts for a screw pump (made from iron), my problem is how to power said pumps,  I have a set of windmills setup, and can easily connect them with axels and gears but I have concerns about the magma burning up these components. So my question is about the behavior of magma out of its natural environment for instance

If we have
wwaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
wPump  ->
wAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

the capital A represents the capital represents the power supply axle (magma 1 level below pump), my question is will the magma fill up the hall way and burn the axels?
Next if I use pipes in the same situation what happens when the area the pipe is delivering magma too fills up?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: safe magma pumping
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

If your pumping system looks like the following:

Code: [Select]
+++###
..%%++
+++###

where + is open floor, . is trench with lava 1 level down, # is solid wall, and %% is your pump, pumping from left to right, then you will be safe as the magma will fill up the area to the right and then stop once that space is full.  The tile of the pump on the output side acts as a wall, so magma won't leak backwards.

I usually connect axles to magma-pumping pumps from above for safety, although you could probably connect it from above or below to the input tile of the pump as follows:

Code: [Select]
+++###
..%%++
++|###

where | is the axle or gear transmitting power to the motor.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:13:16 pm »

As far as what materials are safe goes all the info you'll need is on this section of the wiki. Just search for magma.
Spergs 4 life.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:22:48 am »

my pumps are made out of iron which i know is magma safe, I just need to be sure my gears and axles will not burn, hmnnn This also means I will have to construct some channels, given I lost this fort due to save game problems, the point is mute
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:29 am »

... I just need to be sure my gears and axles will not burn, ...

As long as they don't come in direct contact with magma they will be fine.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 03:10:22 pm »

Which is good, because axles can only be made of wood.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »

If you're really worried just route power to them from above; magma from a screw pump works like water, and as long as you don't fill your channel completely the magma will never touch the axle.
As an aside, if you don't want to waste iron on screw pump parts green glass will pump magma indefinitely. Wood works for a time too.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:30:17 pm »

magma cannot be underneath the pump, please remember that rule.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 06:42:08 pm »

magma cannot be underneath the pump, please remember that rule.

As long as the pumps are made from fire safe material (magma safe is not required here), then there can be flowing magma below the pump.  If the pump is not fire safe (eg, made of wood/flammable stone) then if there is flowing magma below it WILL explode and cause much Fun.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

Sorry, was reading the topic about wooden pipes in a magma pump
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:07:43 am »

If you have sand on your map you can just make the pump out of glass. A wooden pump uses 3 pieces of wood to make from start to finish, and a green glass pump uses also 3 pieces of wood (first made into charcoal, or magma since you're trying to pump magma anyways) to make.

Glass is a magma proof material.