Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food Preservation  (Read 2808 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Food Preservation
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

Since food is so dang easy right now.

All food does eventually expire, depending on the type of food, temperature, and contaminants its exposed to. New thought: "Was disgusted by rotted food lately", when a Dwarf digs up some old cheese to find it's older than he thought.
Need cellars to keep it cold, the deeper the better. Salt preserves it for much longer. An ice cellar is best. New action at kitchen with salt:  "Preserve Meat". Rock salt is nice to import now, and salt is a great commodity/necessity. New action at furnace "Make Jerky".

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Food Preservation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

I agree that food should go bad, especially things like strawberries and such.

Alcohol should last forever. Most alcohol will never go bad (unless it evaporates I guess) and the few kinds that do are because of cream or such mixed in.

Frozen food (which considering the lack of refrigeration technology would mean outside on a glacier or something) should keep good forever, though maybe get a little worn to represent a decrease in quality due to freezer burn (freezer burnt food is totally safe to eat, it just might taste slightly off). Right now meat is totally destroyed by the cold rather quicky  :( Making a food stockpile outside should be an option in a cold environment.

Heavily salted jerky should last for a year or two, properly sealed it can last forever but I don't know if dwarves can really make airtight containers.

Flour and sugar (and honey, and probably dwarven syrup) should keep indefinitely if vermin don't get to them.

Everything else should spoil rather quickly, maybe make it a season for playability reasons even though it should realistically be much quicker.

This would mean you need to turn your harvests into flour/sugar/alcohol rather quickly, and then balance cooking so you always have enough food but not so much that it goes uneaten and rots. Dried meat could be kept as a backup, so you don't starve because Urist decided to sleep instead of cook dinner but it's not good to rely on because it does go bad eventually.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

If the game does go in this direction, then dwarves should favor eating old food before it goes bad over eating new food. Otherwise it's a logistical nightmare. Oh, nobles could insist on only the freshest kitten roasts, but aside from them, everyone should do their best to ensure that food doesn't go to waste.

As for storage, global temperature gets pretty flat once you get a few dozen feet into the earth (I doubt that our forts get deep enough for the mantle to start warming things up). Of course, magma would screw that up a bit, as would water, which can "carry" temperature in from elsewher. Water also increases humidity, making mold a lot more likely. Better keep your waterfalls away from the food stores.

Flour, seeds, sugars, and the like should keep pretty much indefinitely. Most foods can also be dried to improve their longevity; drying would involve slicing the food into thin strips and then leaving it in an oven on low heat for extended periods of time. The resulting food would be edible, but would leave the eater relatively dehydrated. This would be a kitchen task, naturally.

Requiring salt to preserve food is a bit dodgy gameplay-wise since rock salt is pretty hard to get unless you have it in spades. I'd favor having some kind of plant, probably surface-only, that would be processable to gain salt. Then you could at least import the seeds from the human caravan and start your own salt-generation industry.

Another way to preserve things is to saturate them with sugar; candying removes moisture much like drying does, and actually renders the food more or less impervious to decay, so long as you don't get it wet. This would use up a unit of sugar/syrup, but would actually make the food more valuable. Typically you'd make candied fruit; in DF's case that'd basically mean the berries and plump helmets, which are the only plant foods that can be eaten raw.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 05:57:00 am »

I can't wait for tooth decay and diabetes to become rampant.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

There's also pickling. One option could be to mix a unit of food with a unit of booze and call the resulting item, say, *rum-pickled donkey tallow roast* (9)

I'm not 100% sure how the pickling/preserving in brine process works in reality but it could be abstracted easily enough.

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

There are plenty of methods of food preservation, for instance check wikipedia on the subject. Even some with lye   :).
Methods that should definitely be available are cooking (kitchen), drying (need a heated chamber?), salting (salt+kitchen), fermenting (in a barrel or a jar; possibly requiring a still; a still is only needed for distilled drinks, btw), syruping (sugar+kitchen), pickling (vinegar=wine gone bad + kitchen), jellying (fat+kitchen), canning and bottling (glass or metal jars, though dwarves would happily carve them out of stone). The others are either too technologically advanced or too much tied to specific recipes.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Silverionmox ]

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

Adds new uses for tin or aluminium and glass.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

quote:
Most alcohol will never go bad  

No Some Alcohols go bad...

Now they don't become unfit to drink, they just become bad tasting.

While others apperantly are considered greater the longer it lasts. (If alcohol ever gets appreciation... Id love a specific storage area for it)

So the REAL direction this thread seems to be going is to HUGELY inflate the food prep currently required.

Though Salting should make food last pretty much forever in Dwarf Fort... if ONLY because Salt is going to be hard to come by... and meat is already so hard to get for large forts.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

Cool, my metalsmith needs to start making tin cans for food.  too awesome.  the sheer volume of food ideas is absurd.  this dwarf likes it raw, this one well done.....this one is a vegan, this one is a carnivore.  i think we should have a coffee bean crop, brew it up, and watch our hopped up caffienated dwarves go bloody nuts!
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Now they don't become unfit to drink,</STRONG>

Provided that any alcohol is safe to drink in the first place (oh, my liver) then this statement is true.
(Yes, I knoew dwarves are permenant alcoholics)