Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not so friendly friendlies  (Read 1675 times)

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
Not so friendly friendlies
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:06 pm »

I've started playing the Kobold Camp mod while I wait for the new version to come out. My first camp was going along smoothly. I was in the summer of my second year when I get ambushed by elves. I had no defense so I lost pretty quickly. Not wanting to let it go to waste, I decided to reclaim. Now the elves that were still on the map are friendly, which at first I thought would be a good thing, until the first caravan arrived and they attacked it. Kobolds being poor, it only had 3-4 pack animals and no guards.

So now the main question, how do I get rid of the filthy elves that have tricked my local kobolds into thinking they are their guardians?
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not so friendly friendlies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »

Build walls around them.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

SeveQ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:43:47 am »

So this is known as a bug. All civ units already on the map when reclaiming will be friendly until a reinforcement arrives and siege begins.

The hostility status must be stored somewhere in memory. So it should be possible to change it with the aid of some memory changing tool. Something like Dwarf Therapist or dfhack or the like. Any advice on how to do that? I'd like to fix this in my active fortress.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:59:25 am »

Aaahh, so that is why all goblins that invaded just after I decided to abandon one of my fotresses suddenly turned out all friendly and such. I thought the answer layed in empty dwarfen ale barrels that were spread all around the site when I decided to reclaim.

Thinking again, any dwarfen beverage would probably just cause instant death by poisoning of any non-dwarf due to extreme amount of alcohol.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:24 am »

So this is known as a bug. All civ units already on the map when reclaiming will be friendly until a reinforcement arrives and siege begins.

The hostility status must be stored somewhere in memory. So it should be possible to change it with the aid of some memory changing tool. Something like Dwarf Therapist or dfhack or the like. Any advice on how to do that? I'd like to fix this in my active fortress.

The hostility status ... if I'm not mistaken, that's between the civilisations. Not the individuals.

So if he changes the elves to be friendlies he won't get any more sieges.  :-\
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:39 am »

The hostility status ... if I'm not mistaken, that's between the civilisations. Not the individuals.

So if he changes the elves to be friendlies he won't get any more sieges.  :-\

If that was the case, then those elves would've been hostile from the get-go. Their status must be stored in memory somewhere.

By the way, I would be really interested in hearing about any memory-editing tools (or any other sort of tool) that would allow me to change relationships between civs in Fortress Mode. I've made a mistake with the orcs' [CAN_SPEAK] tag and now they insist on bringing me trash in wagons, instead of the bodies of their warriors. I've been seizing their goods and harassing their caravans, but they are still as friendly as orcs get.

Actually, I believe you could use Dwarf Companion to change the disposition of those elves. Or make them butcherable, if that's what you are into (Elf leather thong, yes). Won't work with civs though as far as I'm aware.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:18:24 am by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?