Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Adamantine  (Read 6409 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Adamantine
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »

You only receive force equal to what you apply when your sword strikes and stops dead. This is actually why swords are helpful, because the cutting edge has a lower surface area than the hilt of the sword, the hand swinging the sword has an intense mechanical advantage over the flesh or armor being struck by the sword. Matter is often hard stuff, some of that energy is lost in the process of shearing materials struck by the blade, some lost to heat\friction between the sides of the blade and the material it's moving through (including the air!), some lost to sound and reverberation (CLANG), some soaked up by the hand's contact with the handle.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »

You're all wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 11:56:53 pm »

ah, yes.
thanks for dredging up that meme, it's one of my favorites  ;D
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 12:19:39 am »

You only receive force equal to what you apply when your sword strikes and stops dead. This is actually why swords are helpful, because the cutting edge has a lower surface area than the hilt of the sword, the hand swinging the sword has an intense mechanical advantage over the flesh or armor being struck by the sword. Matter is often hard stuff, some of that energy is lost in the process of shearing materials struck by the blade, some lost to heat\friction between the sides of the blade and the material it's moving through (including the air!), some lost to sound and reverberation (CLANG), some soaked up by the hand's contact with the handle.

so adamantium has almost no friction because of smoothness, similar to the properties of obsidian?

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:23 am »

Newton's Third Law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

My physics teacher swears at me whenever one of us says that *cringe*
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:03 am »

'Adamant' is Latin for diamond - symbolising toughness, beauty, value and strength. Adamantine is the metal version of diamonds, basically. >.>
Adamant isn't Latin for diamonds.

Adamant basically means "unyielding or unbreakable" in Latin and that is why it was applied to any seemingly indestructible substance.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 03:24:20 am »

The "Island of Stability" theory does not involve negative subatomic particles; even wikipedia could tell you that. It illustrates that there might be some elements even larger/heavier than the ones we've synthesized that are actually stable. They're still trying to reach that point, and striving for it has created all the elements beginning with "U" at the bottom of the table.

The island of stability theory has been pretty heavily discredited.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 11:27:15 am »

Someone once calculated the density of Adamantine, of course making a few assumptions about the volume of different objects, like blocks, ect. (Perfectly reasonable assumptions, however.) Adamantine was about as dense as a thick gas.

So, I think it's been established that we're dealing with fanciful metals...

I wouldn't say a thick gas, I'd say a pretty light gas, actually. The density of adamantine in the game is lighter than real world air, yet somewhat denser than helium. All while being supernaturally rigid and strong.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:44 am »

Adamantine is from the greek Adamantos actually- seen in the Theogony, where it's the material that the sickle Gaia gives Cronos to… "deal with" Uranus.

This.  Adamantine is a greek legend.  The seemingly magical metal used by the gods.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 05:08:13 pm »

Newton's Third Law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

My physics teacher swears at me whenever one of us says that *cringe*

Or the layman way of teaching it.
"If you kick the wall, the wall kick back just as hard."
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:55 pm »

Adamantine is from the greek Adamantos actually- seen in the Theogony, where it's the material that the sickle Gaia gives Cronos to… "deal with" Uranus.

This.  Adamantine is a greek legend.  The seemingly magical metal used by the gods.

I always thought DF Adamantine is an acceptable break from reality, being a mythical metal that's impossibly strong yet lighter then air.
Kind of like Unobtainium.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 11:58:20 pm »

I believe that's the common conception, but (at least, my perception of) this thread is to try to line up adamantine with the rest of the game, as most of it is lifted directly from reality (mythical beasts excluded)
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »

Adamantine, being solid and lighter than air, is the perfect material for hovery devices!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:15 pm »

Actually, looking at the raws, it appears that adamantine is nowhere near being lighter than air.  While it is still incredibly light, its density appears to be 200 kg/m3 or 0.2 g/cm3, one-fifth that of water and slightly more than that of balsa wood.  This would support the notion that adamantine is a sort of lattice structure made out of much denser adamantine strands (as this sort of structure is how balsa achieves its moderate strength while being so ridiculously light - cellulose/lignin lattice with many airspaces).
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 12:23:05 am »

Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]