Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for Fleshing Out Adventure Mode  (Read 522 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for Fleshing Out Adventure Mode
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

Well, it was the first time I tried adventure mode. I was primed and ready to go out on epic quests for helpless villages, and destroy entire keeps of goblins, single-handedly. Sadly, I was disappointed. Then, upon wiping out the majority of a cave's population of troglydytes and named ettins, and for all intents and purposes, destroyed a goblin keep, I found myself with absolutely nothing else to do. That is in stark contrast to my Fortress experience, where I could always come up with crazier engineering projects. In adventure mode I can only wipe out so much, and then I become a legendary swordelf and can't find much else to do. Here are my ideas for fleshing out Adventure Mode:

1) Have people actually wear/carry things worth killing them for. As an adventurer, you can occasionally buy jewelry to wear. But you also happen to be the only one who wears jewelry. I'd like to see it so that everyone who can afford it has at least a little bit of jewelry, or other personal effects, whether at their house or on their person. Other suggestions would be bags of coins, bags of seeds, etc...

2) Make houses worth robbing. Right now, robbing a house gives you a fine bounty of a barrel and some meat. I'd like to rob a house for some actual money, if you don't mind. This will probably be implemented in the Town Arc, but I felt the need to get it out there.

3) Have more house variety. My vision would be a bunch of possible 'room configurations', and then 'furniture configurations'. There would be base 'room configuration' modules, e.g. a plain 3x3 room, 3x4, 4x4, L-shaped 2x2/4x2, etc... And then furniture configurations, such as having a cabinet next to a bed, or the cabinet on the opposite side of the room, etc... You could have a bunch of room configurations put together to have multi-room houses. That was probably very confusing, and I suggest that you forget it promptly lest you lose your menta faculties wondering on it.

4) More loot. Sure, I find it realistic that a cave won't have random chests of loot laying around. But when there is a kobold settlement there, I expect at least some loot. And sure, I don't expect a peasant's house to have much more than the basic necessities of life. But I do expect the royal palace to have at least furniture worth stealing. The only way to settle my treasure crave is apparently to break into my own fortress. But that requires a lot of planning, as far as puzzling traps that I have to do in order for me to get my kicks, as well as having to produce the treasure itself. I'd like to raid a goblin fortress and actually find a stockpile of gems, weapons, or bone totems, what-have-you.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Ideas for Fleshing Out Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

All of this is in the devnotes and suggestions and such.   And for what it's worth, goblin forts and such do have loot already.   Just jewelry and coins and stuff, though.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

When 3 is implemented, I hope there's some way (automatically is fine too) to see the entire minimap for the city immediately. Finding armories is a pain, especially with the sluggish movement caused by all the people, and if I can't even identify them by the size of the building but rather have to enter each and every one...

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:18:00 am »

Something I'd like to see added to both adventure mode and fortress mode is the ability to wear crafts. I know its not much, its just that when I manage to get an artefact crown from my old fortress, I want to be able to put it on.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

I think you can wear crowns, you just have to take off your helmet first.  You can wear rings, earrings, amulets, and bracelets any time.  Seeing NPCs wear them would add a bit of flavor, though.

Probably the best thing to do is make all the flavor in the game easier to see.  One goblin guard looks like another unless you [l]ook at him (or her), which disrupts the flow of the game and forces you to go through walls of text.  Giving some information about artwork and lesser decorations during combat would probably help a lot, as would letting you [l]ook around after dying, so you could notice details that you as a player didn't pay attention to before dying.  I know that if somebody's going after me with a ☼≪≡Iron Great Axe≡≫☼, I'm not too concerned about what pictures are on it until one of us is dead, but it would be nice to know that you were decapitated by a masterful image of dwarves talking with dwarves.