Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Minor] Partially mined walls and liquids  (Read 1164 times)

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Minor] Partially mined walls and liquids
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:32:00 am »

I think, as DF already has partially mined walls in it, that on the last stage of mining before actually leaving a hole, liquid could start to seep through if it was on the other end, much slower than if you just dug straight through.
This is a really minor (or is it miner?) thing, it's only real purpose would be as a further warning if you were digging into a river or the bottom of a lava cauldron.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Minor] Partially mined walls and liquids
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

I like it! And it's a much more fun warning than the "damp wall detected" thing. While "damp wall" is undoubtedly very practical and probably realistic (I don't know, my experiences in mining are very limited) it's a little... uhm... un-flood-y.   :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

My main problem with 'damp wall' is that I often don't believe it. I regularly see occasions where I'll get a 'damp wall' with no water on the other side, so I usually end up very surprised and ...well, not as surprised as my dwarves are, I guess. Having some water seep through in addition to the message would be a great way of confirming/denying the water on the other side thing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Of course, it would only seep through if the water is on the same level as the wall.

*GrumbleStupidsurfacepondsdelayigmystoreroomsfrombeingmadeGrumble*

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Yes please, to the partially mined walls letting water through. It'd also be nice if we could see how much of the stone was mined away... Hmm, this could also be applied to floors. That way, when sand is reworked and implemented as a liquid, you can have sand and water (droplets) leaking through your ceilings.  :D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

The big problem I have with this is that it only works if you're paying very close attention, since most times, your dwarf will be standing where the water would be leaking, and even when he isn't, water gets "covered" by loose stones. Maybe if you got an alert "Water is leaking through the wall!" then it'd be more useful.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Wouldn't there be a "Job cancelled: Dangerous terrain" message?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Wouldn't there be a "Job cancelled: Dangerous terrain" message?</STRONG>
Not until the water reaches 4/7, IIRC, and depending on the rate of leakage (which should be fairly slow) that could easily be after it's too late.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels