Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new farming complications  (Read 2840 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the new farming complications
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »

If anything farming isn't hard enough.  I wish we had to water our plants more often and plants needed more tending.  Seems odd that in a simple community of 30-40 people, only 2-3 are needed to totally feed everyone.

Bakawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:47 pm »

Really, I don't mind it, but I'd like to be able to say "Water this FIELD" not, toss water down this hole and hope it wets the (whole) field before it dries up.
English is not dead, It lives. It changes. Your dictionary is a fine listing of the past, but it is not the future.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »

If anything farming isn't hard enough.  I wish we had to water our plants more often and plants needed more tending.  Seems odd that in a simple community of 30-40 people, only 2-3 are needed to totally feed everyone.

The ratio does seem all out of proportion but in reality its about right. Gotta remember that 2-4 people when you have 20-40 people is about 10% of your population

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:37 pm »

I used to have 1-2 dwarves feed a population of 100-120ish. How? Seed-only stockpile directly next to the farm plot, and I turned off ALL tasks except planting on the farmer (other people harvested and moved the food to stockpiles all around the fortress)

a 7x7 farm plot was almost completely 100% used by a single dwarf when I did it right (choosing a speedy workaholic for the job helps)

That reminds me, I was going to check if you can use Workshop Profiles with farms... nothing I hate more then some migrant newbie farmer coming in and using the fields when I'm trying to let my legendary planter get 600% yield from the land! [intermission while I go and check that] Nope, doesn't look like you can. Darn.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »

I don't know what's all the fuss about irrigation. I still do it the same way I did back in 40d.

Since I always embark to areas with brooks/streams/rivers, I dig a pipe from the water to the farm and control it via floodgates and levers. Directly below the farm is a larger empty room, connected via a hatch-covered channel-hole. As long as you regulate the waterflow properly (if you're daring enough you could do it through water-sensitive pressure plates), it'll rush in, moisten the ground and pour down to the large drainage room in volumes small enough for evaporation to be possible.

No pumps necessary. Mainly because I've yet to learn how to use them correctly. :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:42:37 pm by Greenbane »
Pages: 1 [2]