Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Dwarf Companion to change military status.  (Read 1382 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Using Dwarf Companion to change military status.
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »

I need to change a dwarf from elite marksdwarf back into a civilian, and I understand that Dwarf Companion can make this happen, but I don't know how.

Is there a button to press? An option to toggle? Seriously, I'm lost.

This dwarf just happens to be my only mechanic and appraiser, so I can't have him marching around with a crossbow all the time.

He got like this by clearing the UG river with the bones of goblin POW's.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Using Dwarf Companion to change military status.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:04:07 pm »

I've actually found dwarf companion a little frustrating... want to save a dwarf falling to his death by teleporting him away from the yawning chasm, and onto some nice soft soil?  Too bad, once he starts falling, if you move him, he gets into a state of quantum lock, and nothing will ever find him again.  His teal-background body will remain suspended in the air wherever you teleport him.

Want to heal a dying dwarf?  Too bad, she bleeds out FASTER if you heal her.

Want to raise the dead dwarf?  She'll never appear on your units list again, and all her crap will still be strewn about on the floor.

What I really want, though, is a cheat command that cleans up all the clothes that dead dwarves leave behind...  Or, for that matter, deletes the X(old clothing)X that get strewn about dwarves' floors when they buy new things to replace the old.

Bah, that rant doesn't help you with your problem, though...

As far as I can tell, this seems to be related to the problem of having a child who grows up a legendary farmer, but is counted as a peasant until they gain a level in something.  The solution might be to just set the dwarf's marksdwarf skill down below hero threshold, then let them gain another skill level, which will make the game recalculate the job title of the dwarf.  This is just a guess, though, I haven't tried it, myself.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25:29 pm »

I need to change a dwarf from elite marksdwarf back into a civilian, and I understand that Dwarf Companion can make this happen, but I don't know how.

Is there a button to press? An option to toggle? Seriously, I'm lost.

This dwarf just happens to be my only mechanic and appraiser, so I can't have him marching around with a crossbow all the time.

He got like this by clearing the UG river with the bones of goblin POW's.

Double click them. You'll get a new window. Click the skills tab and scale back their level in crossbow. I've never tried this, but I would imagine it would work.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »

Thanks guys, I'll try that.

Edit: just tried it, it didn't work. Any more Ideas?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:59:34 pm by Argonnek »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:07:22 am »

Umm... drop his marksdwarfship skill lower, then give him a fey mood?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

Umm... drop his marksdwarfship skill lower, then give him a fey mood?
You know, I tried the whole mood thing once, and it gives them the mood, but they don't do anything with it
I think this stems from the fact that Dwarf Companion can't generate a list of things they use to make the artifact, they can only edit the list that Dwarf Fortress makes
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:25 am »

Well, chalk it up as another thing Dwarf Companion can't chalk it up to, and start training another mechanic and appraiser?

I mean, really, mechanic is easy (if you actually use up every available stone in your embark, you should win a medal), and it's not like mechanism quality matters for their primary purpose.  Appraisal is slower, taking a few years, but it's not like it takes very much of the dwarf's time to just walk in and look at the trade goods.

Incidentally, I dislike having just one of anything, especially something you might need to rely upon.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:30:05 am »

Dwarf Therapist lets you just assign labor authorizations to dorfs from a grid.  I never tested it on champions but I know you can make kids and nobles do work with it, so its worth a shot. 

???Also keep in mind mechanism quality has zero effect on anything???  Just round up a peasant and have them stamp out mechs forever.  Appraiser is even easier, haul all those extra mechanisms to the depot, plus whatever else you can find and just buy some caravans. 

Edit: mechanism quality stuff is disputed.  I got that info from the wiki I think, so maybe it does.  It would be sortof odd for them to have quality if the quality didn't do anything...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:55:09 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

They add value to it so your dwarves get bigger happy thoughts.  Also more expensive rooms.  Easy way to crank up the value of a noble room is to stick a lever in it and attach the lever to a support.  Pull lever and repeat. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

There were some tests done with mechanisms and raising drawbridges that showed the better the mechanism, the further things were flung. I've also read that mechanism quality affects the accuracy and jam chance of weapon traps, but I can't remember if I've seen numbers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:29:16 pm »

All of these suggestions are perfectly reasonable... or would be if I got migrants.

Due to some silliness with worldgen, my main civ was annihilated, meaning that I don't get migrants or regular caravans. (plenty of goblins though)
This is why I asked in the first place, normally I'd have just replaced him, or gotten a peasant to do it in the first place.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:12 pm »

Well, appraise is affected only by the first time you look at the goods that have been brought to the trade depot as far as I know.  What you bring, or how much you trade makes no difference (does affect other negotiating skills, though, but you can get that by just socializing).

Mechanics don't really matter, except for room value or weapon traps (I don't know if that flinging things with a drawbridge matters), and maybe trap-laying speed.

I'm guessing, though, the real problem, then, is that you simply have one less set of hands to work with.

(I guess you should work on a 1x1 meeting area so that you get some marriages and pregnancies?  Be sure to set a low child to adult ratio in the init file. May be cool to have a fortress composed entirely of two or three families who escaped the ravages of their decimated homeland to rebuild their homeland... plus no nobles.)

Still, you should probably try Dwarf Therapist, instead.  I've found it much more useful than Dwarf Companion, and you don't need to worry so much about crashing things.  If you go into options on recent versions, you need to check the "I'm a dirty cheater, let me modify everyone's work duties" option.  Dwarf Therapist, as a bonus, has a much more polished interface, although it doesn't show quite as much information as Dwarf Companion does (no warnings for low money, for example).
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare