Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make crippled dwarves die of their wounds.  (Read 514 times)

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make crippled dwarves die of their wounds.
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

I realise this is a slightly odd thing to ask for, but until there's some kind of system of advanced medicine or whatever for healing mangled wounds, I'd prefer it if dwarves who got multiple red and yellow wounds and were lying there passing out from pain all the time would just die after a while. It's slightly absurd that the only possible outcome for such a badly injured dwarf is to eventually go insane and crawl around the fortress until they starve or whatever. Dying from wounds would be more realistic and would save on food and labour for your dwarves.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Make crippled dwarves die of their wounds.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:34:00 am »

"Safe disposure" system designs are abundant, I think, and any of them can be used to end the agony of the injured. The easiest way is dropping something on him, or dropping him from somewhere. Rather cruel, considering the circumstances, but with the lack of healing there's nothing else to do really.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

Seeing as how there's no actual way for Dwarves to heal at all if it's more than a bruise, you might consider just using heal.exe from the wiki.

Or if you're against healing the dwarves, use the -hurt command to kill them.

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: Slanted ]

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

I've had dwarves recover from red wounds. Only wounds to the head or major organs are really problematic, for sometime they never really completely heal and keep falling uncouncious all the time...

But everything else is healable as long as it's not lopped off. All you need is time. Some of those recoveries took me well over a year, maybe even two... But it was worth it, as the dwarves in question are usually legendary. I've had non legendary dwarves recover from wounds too, though.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

I know, it's pretty easy to tell which dwarves will or won't recover. The ones who get "Rest" job for a significant length of time are healing and will eventually get better, the ones who are in too much pain and just sit there on their beds with "No Job" occasionally falling unconscious will never heal, they'll just eventually go insane. It's those ones who I wish would just expire.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

You can just lock the door and they'll quickly die of dehydration.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

We don't need advanced medicine.  All we really need are painkillers and sleeping draughts.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

I think any dev work done should be for helping dwarves, not hurting them.  I prefer to take care of my dwarves until there is a cure, or my fort gets wiped out ;p