Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about modifying worldgen  (Read 604 times)

Crassus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Questions about modifying worldgen
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »

Hi guys. I've been playing DF for a while now, and i'm having trouble getting the perfect site. Basically, i want a site that is rich in resources but very hard to live in due to there being lots of things to kill my dwarves. I want to contain the following:

Haunted, Sinister, or Terrifying (or Untamed)
Lots of trees
Partially flat, sedimentary layer for lots of iron and flux
Magma pipe
Bottomless pit
Glowing pit
River or Stream

I've been using UltraFinder, which is an enormous help, but i havent been able to find a site with these things, even if i let UltraFinder run for hours. My question is, then, are there things i can change about the worldgen ini file that would make the features (glowing pit, magma pipe, etc.) more common, so i could have a higher success rate with finding suitable sites?

Thanks.

Edit: i'm really more concerned with increasing the prevalence of the features, so the flatness and woodiness factors arend an issue. I can sort through the sites ultrafinder finds - the problem is finding such sites in the first place.

Edit 2: Another question. In smaller worlds, is the chance of finding a particular feature the same as in a larger world? Basically, i;m wondering if generating small worlds is making my chances for finding suitable sites much smaller. However, the speed with which i can generate small worlds seems to offset this. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:40:13 pm by Crassus »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about modifying worldgen
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »

Look in the worldgen cookbook thread. You probably want very high rainfall for trees, high volcanism for magma, high variability (1600/1600) on just about everything, as many river starts as you can get. HFS can only be on mountain tiles, which can't have rivers, only brooks.

Crassus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »

This is helping very much - thanks.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:27:28 pm »

the world gen settings I posted here should get you pretty close to what you're looking for:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20638.495

Sedimentary is hard to guarantee -- "volcanism" seems to determine all rock layers, not just volcanic ones. So the key is high variability more than anything else. those settings will get you magma, flux, trees, and water pretty consistently, and sand also with luck. Big iron deposits may be tougher, but with magma and trees there's always goblinite iron.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:32:33 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »

increase the ratio of (0-20) and (80-100) volcanism.  The low ones should be sedimentary (or have a better chance of it) while the high ones should have magma.  Your going to find a good map like that on very small mountain regions surrounded by other land.  Look for places where one or two mountain tiles are just sitting in the middle of a forest, increasing the number of rivers and minimum initial mountain regions might help.  To get terrifying stuff increase the ratio of high savagery, and drastically increase the number of desired evil tiles. 

Also, you won't ever find a river and pits on the same embark because only brooks can be in mountain areas :(

...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Crassus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:48:14 pm »

arent large iron deposits found mainly in sedimentary layers?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:51:51 pm »

arent large iron deposits found mainly in sedimentary layers?

Yes. Personally I don't worry about that much though -- if you have magma, you can just melt down goblin armor for an essentially infinite iron source. Fuel (magma, trees) is really more important.

What the man say about high variability and the 0-20 and 80-100 volcanism ranges should work, though you might have to do some value tweaking. I always generate large worlds (I'll just set a batch file to run generating a few hundred overnight or while I'm at work) so I can't speak to the large/small conundrum.