Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Prisoners  (Read 3587 times)

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoners
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »

If you add [trAINABLE] to a creature and try to tame them, but they've already killed some of your dwarves, they won't be friendly. The only difference is that your dwarves won't fight back. Idiots.
 :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:58:29 pm by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 04:02:45 pm »

Have anyone ever tried to engage war with 3 different civs, have them appear at the scene at the same time and then they fight eachother?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »

Actually I guess if you're right next to a tower, they'll be living out daily life and then they can be capturable and breedable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »

My prisoners went into an arena with the captured Dragon and werewolves. Each cage was attached to a lever and they were all released at once. The survivors were shot through the fortifications by my marksdwarfs.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 11:38:30 am »

Have anyone ever tried to engage war with 3 different civs, have them appear at the scene at the same time and then they fight eachother?
They have to be at war with each other. But, I have seen a Human siege completely annihilate an elven siege.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 07:19:01 am »

Heh. You *could* just let them go, I guess. :) If that even works - I've never actually tried.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:31 am »

They have to be at war with each other. But, I have seen a Human siege completely annihilate an elven siege.

It probably took a while for the humans to annihilate the Elves I'm guessing. They'd need to have some time to stop laughing & regain their composure before they slaughter the pointy eared tree huggers who wear wooden armour, carry wooden weapons & ride Unicorns.

I mean seriously, give them some mythril armour or something. A wet paper bag would be more of a challenge.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 07:01:34 pm »

It probably took a while for the humans to annihilate the Elves I'm guessing. They'd need to have some time to stop laughing & regain their composure before they slaughter the pointy eared tree huggers who wear wooden armour, carry wooden weapons & ride Unicorns.

I mean seriously, give them some mythril armour or something. A wet paper bag would be more of a challenge.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, one human lived with like 9 wooden arrows in him.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »

I haven't read this whole thread but as I see it, there are two good categories things to do with prisoners:

1) Display them in places
2) Shove them off of or into things

The last fort in which I had a considerable number of prisoners was Bustnut, and I built a large tower of four copper block pillars with a glass platform on top. Prisoners were led by the hand up the center and shoved off the tower, landing in the fortress' refuse stockpile, and occasionally pieces ended up other places.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »

I am a fan of the killmaze.

Room full of cages linked to lever in barracks.
Long hallway full of whip weapon traps.
Door to barracks.

If they can make it through, let them be free.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 01:46:17 am »

I haven't read this whole thread but as I see it, there are two good categories things to do with prisoners:

1) Display them in places
2) Shove them off of or into things

have you checked the 101 uses of goblins thread?
there's a lot of repetition, and a lot of "drop them off cliffs" suggestions, but there are some other interesting suggestions as well.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

So, here`s the deal.

I have a lot of prisoners, both human and goblins, a Titan and some random critters (and a kobold...) so the question is:
What can I do with them?
I have heard of people getting prisoners to be part of their society, but I dunno how.

I suppose I could make an arena and make them fight it off.

I use them as target practice for my Marksdwarves. Just put all their cages in one big room, build a 1-wide moat dividing the cage area and a 2-wide place for your marksdwarves, hook all the cages up to a single lever outside the room, seal the room, station your Marksdwarves on their side, pop open the cages, and let them go wild.

Oh, remember to disarm them before you do this, though.
A much better way is to build their cage above said room, and pit them all.
Make sure the pit are high enough to "hurt" them a little.
And make sure your marksdwarves are far enough that they will take sometime to "hit" them.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: 1 2 [3]