Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Risk vs reward with more dangerous areas  (Read 392 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Risk vs reward with more dangerous areas
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:00 pm »

I haven't played enough games in enough areas to definatly say that the more dangerous regions (unicorns, mandrills, elephants etc.) are any different within the mountain than more peaceful places. In the few games I played it seemed like my luck with finding ore and gems stayed the same regardless of where the fortress was.

I think that the areas with very hostile outdoors should have higher chances of having gems and ores to make up for it.

On a separate note it would be nice if these forums had a way to tell if ThreeToe or Toady responded to a thread. Often times I'm not so interested by an idea but more by how the developers react to it.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risk vs reward with more dangerous areas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »

You could always search for all posts by Toady.

And yeah, I like your idea, though a lot of people are treating the different zones like difficulty levels...even I'm starting to find calm areas pretty dull.  Spice things up with some zombies and such.   :p

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:25:00 am »

Indeed, Calm areas have begun to be quite dull to my taste. There is not even an evil civ in the area of my current Fortress, is very sad. So I suppose the logical thing would be to get raped by elephants, until Calm is no longer dull.   ;)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 01:53:00 am »

Maybe I should start posting my 'creations' on the forums for you guys to add to your games.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:29:00 am »

I made a rabbit of Caerbannog at one point, although I had the fortune of never encountering it. ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin