Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outpost Mengorrun, "Lashroars."  (Read 570 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outpost Mengorrun, "Lashroars."
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:10:33 pm »

(A.K.A That newbie place with the magma pipe right next to the fort that may also have a GCSQ somewhere around...) 

Well, I am trying to make this my first permanent fort. It is in a... possibly undesired place. You can see the magma pipe and the fort entrance in the same screen, and fire imps tend to create a large amount of fires, that spread and spread (And burn my GCSQ silk!). Also, for your information, I am using the 'Dig Dwarfier' mod. I'm probably screwed right?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Mengorrun, "Lashroars."
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »

ok, heres some advice, either channel out around the pipe to block of the fire imps way to your dwarfs (they wont shoot fireballs over channels), or carve fortifications into the edge of the pipe one or two z-levels below the ground and station marksdwarves by the fortifications.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:24:29 am »

If my magma pipes are underground, I do this:

I go one level up, I look at the size of the magma opening, and I dig out a rectangular channel in that exact shape except for one square. I then remove that square.

If they are above-ground..... hmm, I've never tried this with that, but what I WOULD do is just the same thing, except I have to start from farther away and build a floor, and then force a collapse.

This will kill any fire imps between the cave-in and the bottom of the magma, though some may hide under overhangs, so you may have to do it more then once, or wait until you can get most of them and relay on crossbows for the rest.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

or carve fortifications into the edge of the pipe one or two z-levels below the ground and station marksdwarves by the fortifications.

I don't think this would work out quite like you imagine it working out.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."