Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing/cooking - Work like butchering, tanning, and wea  (Read 440 times)

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brewing/cooking - Work like butchering, tanning, and wea
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

What if, instead of cancelling brewing and cooking tasks when there are no available items/barrels, these jobs are input automatically like butchering and tanning?  Now that fields no longer reset to fallow after the season is up, these changes could make a fort nearly autonomous.  It also prevents having to reinput jobs that get completed because too many workshops were operating at the same time.  There are plenty of food options.  Similar options could be done for milling (for wheat and dye, sweet pods would be a special case) as well.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing/cooking - Work like butchering, tanning, and wea
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

Also fishcleaning.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

fishcleaning sure, but brewing and cooking are just too complicated to automanage in this way.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

It would be tricky to get that right, because it would be far too easy to accidentally autobrew all your edible plants and end up with nothing to eat. Granted, you can cook your booze later if so inclined, but there are at least a few people (including myself) who don't like to do this, because it's unrealistic and feels like a cheat.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

No cooking or brewing automatization, automatize fish cleaning.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

Since you can turn it off yourself, I don't see the problem.

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

I like the idea of automatic processing for fish; maybe settings for varying levels of cooking, brewing, and milling could be useful as well.  Ingredients could be flagged for auto-cook, -brew, and -mill on top of their regular ones.  To reduce complexity in the display, perhaps the words COOK and BREW could be red for do-not-use-this-way, yellow for the way they are used now (only used for player-queued jobs), and green for automatic inclusion in cooking, brewing, and/or milling jobs as possible.  If conditions are met for an ingredient to be used in more than one way, I guess it would be a first-come, first-serve situation to see where it actually went.

Of course, that doesn't control what level of quality the meals would be in the kitchen.  Maybe a setting there to determine how high a quality the kitchen should automatically produce?

If everything were optional, that would make me happy.  If it didn't work for people, they could shut the automation off.