Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF is slow on linux  (Read 5311 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF is slow on linux
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

Hello, forums!
I'm using freebsd 8.0 and archlinux-current on the very same hardware.
On bsd, i played df lots of time with wine (because linux-emulation mode was really REALLY slow), but then i've given a try for linux.
With both wine and native on linux its slowlier than bsd/wine (not with fps - but the key reaction time, e.g. scroll is about 5 times slowlier, for example), and it handles much less dwarfes - about ~50 to get 30-40 fps instead of 100 vs 80 on bsd.
HW: Athlon x4 620 (one core = 3.2GHz), 2G of mem, nvidia 8400gs, 64bit system (for linux tried x86 too - no changes),  zen-kernel .32 & .33-rc (without zen linux really sucked - incredible system slowdown with any i/o activity, iowait bug)
Any suggestions?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF is slow on linux
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »

Are you using the latest #18 version, linked at the top of the forums?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:42:37 pm »

Are you using the latest #18 version, linked at the top of the forums?
Yes. for me, 40d16 is little bit faster then 18 on linux btw.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »

d18 has a nasty little performance bug, but that's fixed in -head now; you should try that.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:43 am »

DF isalways slow. No exceptions.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:04:31 am »

>ungulateman
Problem that it (was) slowlier on linux than on freebsd.
>Baughn
Thx, d18-head really rocks - faster than ever :3, handles more dwarves, BUT scroll is still slow :(
It's mildly depressing.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:46 am »

Well, yeah, I was making a terrible joke.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.