Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Playable Civ Problems  (Read 1077 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Playable Civ Problems
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

Last night I set out to create a playable civilization using custom creatures.
The creatures are Great Spiders. I've removed the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] token from dwarves and have been trying to generate a new world so I can use these guys. When the worlds begin to initialize for the second time, they are rejected. This has happened several times and as many as 200 worlds have been rejected in one go.

Here's their creature info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And here's the entity info:
And this is BODY:GREAT_SPIDER

Does anyone know what the problem is or how to find it?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:01:00 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: New Playable Civ Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

First step should be that you should check your error log. For example, there's no site type Mountain (dwarves live in Cave_detailed, if that's what you're after), and vanilla has no Great_Spider body (if you created it, perhaps post that as well). Those may lead to other issues (such as your spiders having no grasps to use weapons with).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:13:49 pm »

There are a few things wrong here; I'll just go over them as I see them and identify the root of the problem when I see it:

[TILE:263C]

Evident typo

[BIOME:ANY_MAIN]

ANY_MAIN is not a biome type - you're thinking of ALL_MAIN, but keep in mind that that covers bodies of water as well. ANY_LAND might be a better choice. Regardless, it's not altogether desirable to give your civ creatures a biome tag - they won't need it, unless you're making a deliberate effort to spawn wild ones as well (in which case just adding the biome tag won't cut it).

[MEANDERER]

I'm not sure what effect this would have on gameplay. MEANDERER usually just makes things move in semirandom directions... it might interfere with pathfinding.

[SELECT_SYMBOL:EARTH:NAME_EARTH]

Symbols don't quite work like that, but the mistake's definitely understandable. The first variable field shows what the civ is going to be assigning the symbol to - ALL, WAR, BATTLE, SIEGE, CIV, SITE, ROAD, TUNNEL, BRIDGE, WALL and REMAINING (ie, anything that's not covered by anything else). The second field is the symbol class itself, a list of which can be found in language_SYM.txt in your raws directory.

~ninja'd, skipping some things that have been covered

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:MOUNTAIN]

This needs to be DARK_FORTRESS, CAVE, CAVE_DETAILED, CITY, TREE_CITY or RUIN. Also note that some site types only work on some biomes (tree cities only work on forests, etc).

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:14:23 pm »

Your creatures have no hearts or eyes, meaning they'll die instantly. I don't know it that matters in worldgen, but it's worth fixing, at any rate.

Also, I see your creatures are both VESPTERTINE, CREPUSCULAR, and NOCTURNAL. Any particular reason for this? Just curious.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:16:32 pm »

Having all of the VESPTERTINE, CREPUSCULAR, and NOCTURNAL tags makes sure that the creature is out at all times except during the day. If you've only got the NOCTURNAL tag, they'll sleep during twilight hours as well as daylight.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »

I see your creatures are both VESPTERTINE, CREPUSCULAR, and NOCTURNAL. Any particular reason for this? Just curious.
I gave them VESPERTINE, CREPUSCULAR, and NOCTURNAL because I wanted them active during all but the daylight hours.

Thanks for the help, this explains a lot.
I was imitating Deon's how-to Tripod creature when making the Great_Spider body, so I hadn't realized I needed any more organs.
The entity info is a slightly modified copy of the dwarf entry.

There are a few things wrong here; I'll just go over them as I see them and identify the root of the problem when I see it:

[TILE:263C]
Evident typo

If I wanted to get this to work, what would I do? I got 263C from http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Character_table.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:34:33 pm »

Put in 15 instead. The bottom number appended to each tile on that page refers to the one DF uses in its 256-tile tileset.

Also, "evident typo" was due to me assuming that you were attempting to put in something like 236 (∞) and had just gone all over the place.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:43:56 pm »

Put in 15 instead. The bottom number appended to each tile on that page refers to the one DF uses in its 256-tile tileset.

Also, "evident typo" was due to me assuming that you were attempting to put in something like 236 (∞) and had just gone all over the place.
Thanks again.

I wasn't insulted, if that's why you're explaining.

I still don't really get what I'm doing, but hopefully now I'll be able to get it to work.

EDIT: I forgot to say earlier, but BODY:GREAT_SPIDER has the cephalothorax, abdomen, eight legs (no feet) and eight eyes. If I had given any thought to it, I would just have used the default BODY:SPIDER.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:53:18 pm by Organum »

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:59 pm »

Spearder--- tee hee
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »

D: It still goes to at least 130 rejects...
I added CIV_CONTROLLABLE back to Dwarves and it functioned normally. The original error was something about no suitable sites being found for the civilization. Would this be related to the START_BIOME or the site tokens? I changed START_BIOME to ANY_FOREST and DEFAULT_SITE to TREE_CITY.

I've also added in the missing organs, fixed the TILE, and changed the SYMBOL:EARTH thing.
Also, Legends mode doesn't show any Great Spiders having existed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:41:05 pm by Organum »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »

Did you empty the ...\data\objects folder?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »

I realized eventually that the game couldn't find them in the creature file I'd created. I added them to the bottom of the creature_standard file and they entered the world of reality.
Thanks for all the help, peoples. :D Sorry for being dumb.