Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lets Play Europa Universalis 3: In Medias Res  (Read 8509 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Europa Universalis 3: In Medias Res
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »

I vote for the text being above the picture so we know what we're looking at.

PS: Is there a demo of this game?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 11:28:27 pm »

Actually, yes, but it only goes up to around 1550 and allows you to play only Western countries.

Here's a link to HttT demo...but there are demos for ALL the different expansion packs of EU3 (EU3 proper, Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine, Heir to the Throne).

http://www.europauniversalis3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

Uploading the next batch to the FTP server as we speak. Also, If you are going to buy the game, your best bet is to buy the complete edition off of gamers gate, which includes the first two expansion packs, and Heir to the Throne separately. I'm not aware if there is a compilation of all three expansion packs out right now, but I can say that HTTT does add a lot to an already great game, and is totally worth it.

Also, the mod I'm playing with takes the game up to 1919. Yeah, a bit much, but still. I meant it when I said plenty of game left in this'un.
!!&!!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

State of the World, 1679; French expansionism in the new world and Iberian Peninsula have pushed Italy over the edge. Unwilling to simply let the French King take control of the whole of the Iberian Peninsula and in doing so, hold enough men under his control to threaten the whole of Europe, Italy gears up for a preemptive strike. The greatest, and longest serving Doge, Geovanni Maria Gaetani dell'Aquila, one of the most capable generals in Italy himself, takes control of the largest army personally.

And after the armies are lined up along the French border, a declaration of War is issued to the King of France. The stated Excuse is grievances over territory held by France in the new world that had been claimed by Italy. Of course, this isn't entirely the case.

Apparently sensing weakness, several minor nations in India attempt to stage a reconquest of territory claimed by Italy several decades prior, and declare war. Although they are subdued and occupied without trouble due to a lack of arms and numbers, peace is not brokered until later.

Oirialla is a French vassal state consisting of a single province in Ireland. They declare war on Italy in return, but lacking any real means of supporting the King of France, they are not a threat.

Leon on the other hand has established colonies, and territory in the Iberian Peninsula that could be troublesome should they come to aid the King. However, apparently able to feel which way the wind is blowing, Leon almost immediately withdraws from the war, while the first shots of the war are just being fired.

However, all is not favorable. As Burgundy joins the war, France moves in, and and quickly reconquers and annexes Burgundy.

In northern France, armies move into lightly defended territory quickly, and overwhelm unprepared defenses. the most trouble faced is in Avignon, which boasts a much more sizable fortress than it's surrounding territories. The French counter attack is swift, and it is true that their conquests were possible because they were certainly not lacking in numbers. However, in the battle of Languedoc, a relatively small army of Italian infantry defeat a considerably larger French army. Numbers alone will not earn them victory.

The French line held for several months, a tug of war over the border provinces lasted apparently until the French coffers began to dry. French reinforcement slows, and Italian armies move deeper into French territory. Even the tiny Republic of Ragussa comes to aid in the South of France. Controlling the south, here the Iberian Peninsula becomes a bottleneck is of major importance, as it is understood that the Iberian Territories could support a massive troop buildup that can't be easily stopped from where we sit.

However, it is around this time that Luxembourg joins in the conflict, declaring war on France themselves, and quickly moving to occupy Paris. Faced with a war on Two Fronts the French resistance is essentially already defeated.

It isn't immediately clear what they're up to in Luxembourg, but the fact that they carry on the war after occupying Paris gives some clue as to their designs for Conquest.

Made self evident when they finally broker peace.

Now that France is able to fight on a single front, it was expected that the war would take a turn towards stalemate again, however, Luxembourg demanding probably every ducat France had in their treasury meant that hardly a single new regiment formed on the French side of the war.

However, what men France had still fought as hard as they could. While signing orders to be sent to the generals fighting what resistance still remained in India, a French surprise attack caught the Doge's army from behind. Though the battle resulted in Italian victory against the raiders, a French bullet flew through the Doge's tent, and pierced him through the heart, ending his long and glorious Tenure.

Despite this admittedly large setback, the new Doge is prepared. A general himself, he takes the reins of the war where dell'Aquila left them, and charges on, occupying nearly all of France in Europe.

Finally, after Ile-de-France falls for the second time in this war, this time to Italians, Italy declares Victory, and the French, without any means to fight back, surrenders.

Italy draws out it's demands for peace. This war was not about territorial expansion, although two provinces, Elsass and Lothringen, are claimed. The first, to deny France control over the Center of Trade which they had embargoed their enemies from for purely political reasons several times, and the second for a contiguous border reaching Elsass.

But that does little to Punish the French. As part of the treaty, Four new Republics are established in formerly French territory. Burgundy, which fell in the midst of this very war, is liberated once again. Champagne is created to the North of Burgundy. To the South, Toulouse, and Armagnac

To say that France is weakened by this is a vast understatement.

1682. A new Doge in charge, and more territory. Most importantly, four new Republics built in the old world who call themselves Allies of Italy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:54:09 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »

You are a genius.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 06:52:58 pm »

Do realize that it took three years to achieve a lasting victory. Most of '79 was spent in a constant tug of war over the boarder, and temporary withdraws to chase down French armies that managed to get across the border. Success only started to really develop after the French armies started to lose most of their numbers and money in the second year. Looking at the screenshots, you can see most of the progress in the occupation occurs between August and October of '80, but we only occupy enough territory to make the demands we want another few months into the following year.
!!&!!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:31 am »

still a great victory, ampersand.

Just a question, is it possible to create italy in EU3 (no expansions?) after reading your thread, I started a game as venice myself and I wanted to have this as my long tterm goal. But if italy is not possible, then I probably will avoid a second war against aragon for sicily and sardinia.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:05 pm »

still a great victory, ampersand.

Just a question, is it possible to create italy in EU3 (no expansions?) after reading your thread, I started a game as venice myself and I wanted to have this as my long tterm goal. But if italy is not possible, then I probably will avoid a second war against aragon for sicily and sardinia.

In EU3 base, it is possible to form Italy, but it works differently. When all the necessary conditions for unification are met, you are presented with an event that you can take, or not take, only once. In the expansion packs, it is a National Decision that you can make at any time after the conditions are met.

Also keep in mind that some of the unifications that will occur in this game are due in part to the mod I'm using, and are not there in the default game. For example, in the mod, there is Japanese unification; in the default game, Japan is a single country on it's own. A tad ahistoric, given that the Japanese Feudal Era occurred around this time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:32:24 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 01:05:57 pm »

Which mod is it? I am interested because I was thinking about playing EU3 but I am a total noob in it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »

It's the Whole World mod, which I fell back on because there wasn't a version of Magna Mundi for HTTT until late last night.

Magna Mundi makes the game very different, Whole World doesn't to the same degree.
!!&!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 06:12:22 pm »

Is it ok to start MM as a newbie?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 07:07:11 am »

It plays like a completely different game, really. I say it doesn't matter, as all the habits that you form in vanilla end up being bad ones in MM.
!!&!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:22 am »

Wow. It has a nice learning curve. I tried to unite a Greece as Achea and was harrassed by the lack of money, rebellions and Ottomans >.<

I think I should try an easier nation next time.
Also I've spent about an hour reading articles about a trade, a diplomacy and others, and I still don't know anything :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:34 am »

Yeah, you have to get an understanding of the balance of power in the region before you think about doing anything too crazy. The Ottoman Empire is expansionist, for example. Very expansionist. And absurdly powerful at the beginning. A good starting country is the Kingdom of Castile. You'll get the full range of experience early on with Castile, and it will help you learn how to eventually move on to smaller nations.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 [2]