Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable Elves?  (Read 817 times)

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playable Elves?
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:33 am »

Leaving aside, just for a moment, the solemn imperative that all Elves must be destroyed, preferably by magma, are there any mods which enable you to play as them? I wasn't able to find anything via the search, but you know how tricksy that can be.

Thanks in advance!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Elves?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:53 am »

Go into raw\objects\entity_default.txt and remove CIV_CONTROLLABLE from the dwarves' entry and add it to the elves'.

However, there are so many jobs elves can't do (by default) that you can't really do much. You can fix this up a bit by copying over the allowable profession tags (from dwarves) to the elves that they seem to lack but that you want to allow.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:17:23 am »

you don't need to remove civ_controlable from dwarves as you can use the Tab key to shift the menu options and then select the civilization you want to play, all civ_controlable civs will be in that list. Determining which race which civ is a little hard, you have to go by the names of the civs.

Elves start without anvils, axes and picks and thus lose 1620 embark points.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:03 am »

ACTUALLY, you can see what race your civ is. Look at the races which have access to your fortress. Your own race will always be shown at the top of the list.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:51 am »

Also, the highlighted 'cities' on the map to the left will change. Omegas are mountain halls, double-something-I's are elven retreats.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:28:04 am »

BLASPHEMY! HERETIC!

PS - It had to be said.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

JackoWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »

Excellent, thanks.

@13thRonin: Obviously, I would only contemplate this in order to bring down their civilization from the *inside*. You can trust me...surely. ;)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »

I got thinking about it today at work, Elves might actually be playable close to Toady's vision (it will be easier in the next version), but still be interesting and capable of fending off a siege, with a few mods.

- Some variation on the Growable Wood Mod (2.5 season tree plants, that provide food/booze/extracts, with reactions to convert them to logs and seeds)
- Some kind of special Elven plant that can be reacted to 1 or more wooden metals (MATGLOSS_METAL:BRONZE_WOOD or IRON_WOOD or STEEL_WOOD) that acts similar to named metals for damage and protection (for weapons better than the base 50% wooden ones) and maybe gems (say Amber or Resin)
- allow CARPENTER (but no WOODCUTTER), ANIMAL_TRAINER, FURNACE_OPERATOR (you need it for the smelter), WEAPONSMITH and ARMORER (for the wooden metal items), most or all of the farming jobs, ARCHITECT, maybe a few others.
- you would need some kind of work around to get the fire safe material for the smelter (wait for the dwarves/humans to sell you some? some type of wooden pick?) and the fuel to power the Forge for building weapons and armor (burning plants?)
- setting up farms/buildings/stockpiles in the forest might be hard with limited open ground (split biomes forest/something), that first year is going to suck (until you get something to make the smelter with).

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:57:32 am »

What I would do is either play Tolkien elves, who have no problem cutting down trees for the sake of making Pretty Things, or mod in dwarf-like dark elves. Actually, one of the things I've been considering for the next version is the feasability of making a race of 'dark elves' with some unusual material for their 'black heart'. Ideally something explosive if pierced. Or whether or not a poison can be used for blood.

Since I have no idea how all this stuff will work in the next version, I'm not sure of anything.