Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lesser punishments  (Read 620 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lesser punishments
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

Sometimes I feel punishments are a bit on the harsh side. With increasingly complex ways for dwarves to interact, there will be more infractions, so I thought there might be room for more punishments, too. Some stuff off the top of my head are confinement to quarters, pillory, shaving, withdrawal of gathering room  privileges, withdrawal of booze privileges, menial labor, and maybe ball and chain?

Of course, getting to drag around a masterfully crafted adamantine ball with masterfully crafted decorations in gold and silver and diamond studs and with bands of goblin bone might not be percieved as a punishment.  :)

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lesser punishments
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

If you have the economy going, fines could be imposed.

Confinement to quarters is practically no different than jail, but only assuming the dwarf has proper quarters.  Same with pillory; it is just a slightly different type of cage.

Shaving would constitute a major hit to moral, making for an unhappy dwarf.  While this may not be a big deal if the punishment is for missing a mandate, if the dwarf is on and off tantruming, this can easily spell doom for the fortress.

Lack of booze might be a viable punishment - makes for a slow dwarf, but provided there is water available, not a killer.  

Menial labor?  Thats what most of the dwarfs are doing to begin with.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:28:55 am by penguinofhonor »

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Shaving? Shaving?! Don't you know what a dwarf's beard is used for? Most dwarves would rather die than lose their beard!

(Free invisible intangible cookie to anyone who can find the thread I'm referencing regarding the use of beards. Also, see here. The Great One himself responds on this particular idea.)

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

How do you shave something that is 100% beard?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

RE: Ball n' Chain: If it was presumed that any art on the ball was a recognition of the glories of the fortress (or at least the best cheeses), that are now denied to that dwarf, then that sounds like a reasonable punishment. If the items slow down that dwarf, that actually makes it kind of a punishment for the player, too; do as the nobles command, or your fortress will suffer!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>do as the nobles command, or your fortress will suffer!</STRONG>

Or do as I do, magmize those despotic bastards.