Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How is meanderer supposed to work?  (Read 854 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How is meanderer supposed to work?
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:25:12 am »

Hi,

So I modded the game to augment slightly the population and cluster size of the xxx-men races (antmen, batmen, whatever...). I now have on my map spots of 50-70 of these puppies. I also gave them [CHILD:1] and [MEANDERER] for good measure.

Meanderer is not working much... In one year, each cluster spread a bit, but I expected more something along the line of transhumance (migration) over the map, i.e each cluster moving from one spot to another significantly... Here they spread and each cluster's center has perhaps translated 15-20 tiles from the origin, in one year ? ?  ?

So what's give? How can I have wandering group of monsters?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How is meanderer supposed to work?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:57 am »

up ;)

Seiriously, between ROAMING and MEANDERER, it is difficult to know what do what... I will have to test all combinations but a thing is sure: MEANDERER don't mean the creatures will roam over the map, despite what is said. Is it a bug...?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:23 am »

I'd really like to know the answer to this too. It could be useful for modding applications.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:22 am »

Maybe MEANDERER doesn't work for clusters? If it was intended for solitary creatures, then the cluster AI may interfere with it.

Just a guess, though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:49:51 am »

MEANDERER? My understanding was that MEANDERER had some kind of randomisation effect on standard movement; nothing to do with the faux-migration that packs of creatures do - that's purely the sphere of the LARGE_ROAMING tag.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »

I think you are right. So it is best to leave the creature without it, and with LARGE_ROAMING ... not that it will achieve a trans-map migration but this is the best we have in tokens regarding overall movements.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:00 pm »

MEANDERER like 3 said gives randomized movement, instead of walking a straight line to its new location it will "stumble" its way there, also it seems to make them move slower when not in battle/flee mode. I remember moving to a chasm and some above ground mole dogs liked to roam the map. Hte only thing I modded for mole dogs was cluster size and litter size

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:30 am »

ok... I'm unsure about litter size, the 2 numbers govern the chances of having bigger than one litter, but how they work actually?

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 03:25:02 am »

My guess is that the two numbers are minimum and maximum litter size.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:10:19 am »

mmmh, I think it more has to do with probability because there is a monster which has 40:65 has litter size... that would create a lot of babies here!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:19 am »

Yes that is and yes the setup is [liTTERSIZE:MIN:MAX]
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.