Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding, Reclaim and Channels.  (Read 512 times)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding, Reclaim and Channels.
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:41:00 am »

This is something of a suggestion, given that i'm not quite certain where to place it, to try and come up with a fix for the issue with flooding, that so many people say stops them from going back to old an old fortress and starting in it again.

This issue of flooding isn't an easy one for you to fix without some clever work, but, i do have an idea of one way to fix it, as well as adding a little to the work that has to be done in reclaim mode.

If the original path of the rivers is possible to generate by a seed, then one simple 'fix' for this would be to have all the water removed from the map and the original river's on the map initialised again.
Of course, this probably still leaves the issue that, you won't be able to get into the fortress before it floods again, that's why i'd like to suggest that the existing channels are blocked, be it by debris or whatever, and it takes a miner or the like to clear them when you get around to reclaiming them. Though, that leaves the issue of, the channel being there, but any floodgates that held the flow of fluids that's now no longer present wouldn't be possible to place upon a regular channel, given things at this point, though, if that could be changed, or, a blocked channel could be built over by a floodgate and cleared in the process, then you'd have a short term means to fix this issue.

Does this suggestion sound viable, or does the way things are coded currently make it difficult to impliment at best?

Also, on a less serious note, could we have the Catapult made to use stray cats as ammo?
As much as i love the fact my cats tore a fire imp to shreds when one had my dwarves scatter and flee, and how i laughed when my first champion almost died in a three on one fight with wolves, we really need a creative way to deal with the feline menace that litters the dwarven halls.

Now, back to decapitating skeletons with thrown monarch butterflies.. Probably the most awsome thing i've done in a while.