Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain+Waterfall=Overflow?  (Read 1015 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain+Waterfall=Overflow?
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:50:20 am »

On two maps now, I've had rivers overflow while it is raining. The first was a few versions ago, the world flooded up to the height of the highest river(it never stopped raining). This most recent time the rain was short lived and the water is evaporaing as fast as it is building up.
If I were to guess the cause, I would say perhaps a raindrop hitting the water just as it collides with the lower river, may cause it to sit on top of the river. If this is not the case, does anyone know any way to prevent the flooding?
I apologise if this has already been mentioned, "rain" in the search box finds; rain, drain, terrain, drainage, restraint, trained, brain, etc. etc. etc.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: Rain+Waterfall=Overflow?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:52 am »

Yeah, I remember hearing about this before.  People determined in that thread that if you turned off weather while it was raining, it might never stop, I think.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:32 am »

I've never touched weather in the ini, or temperature even.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:46 am »

It's a known bug:

# 001090 □ [weather] (Report) if rain lasts too long, ponds can overflow and flood the map

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »

He's saying it's rivers, though.  Do rivers fall under that bug too?  *didn't think rivers would fill from the rain, since they wouldn't normally ever need to*
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »

Oh, I misread.  Hm.  Maybe there are ponds overflowing into the river?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:00 pm »

Generally, rain does NOTHING if it hits anything other than a murky pool. If it hits murky pool, there will be water. Other water tiles? DOesnt affects them.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:14:15 am »

Generally, rain does NOTHING if it hits anything other than a murky pool. If it hits murky pool, there will be water. Other water tiles? DOesnt affects them.

Acctually, if rain hits anything that had water in it upon embark (That means rivers, brooks, ect.) it can fill up. I know this because I set up a dam in a river, and the part past the damn dried up. But when it would rain there would be some 1/7 squares in the river bed.
I've played a guitar with my penis.