Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making A MSPA RPG  (Read 1116 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Making A MSPA RPG
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »

Hey, so we should set up a forum-ready RPG system based on MSPA. You can have Cruxtruders and Totem Lathes and such - you use grist and shale and all those other grists to make better equipment. It could be like a shop. Of course it wouldn't be like MSPA that much, as Sburb and its universe are more a game of exploration than RPG, but it could still be pretty cool. I mean, imagine an RPG where you can take anything you find and make cool weapons or items out of it!

Good/bad idea?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Making A MSPA RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

Do we get to choose our own sylladex?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:51 pm »

Well, first off, will there be any sense of balance and/or competition, or is it just about getting out of your doom?

You could try having players give the next player a command and having the next player forced to, technically, follow it. Each player would have their own character and be competeing to be the first to reach the objective, which could be placed by the first player to act, with all the other players getting to add some piece of scenery for people to interact with...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »

It would be balanced, I think. It'd be an RPG with MSPA flavor, essentially.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:18 pm »

Oh, like a licensed Indiana Jones RPG game system.

So it's more for "oh man I wish I could play MSPA" kind of thing, rather than trying to actually recreate it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »

Bad idea.
two reasons.

1: You cannot just take someone elses thing and start up your own, this will give much less joy than if you just make up your own thing. You can make a "MSPA" but will it be any fun or will you disappoint people that are expecting a certain touch that you do not have? See all the god games/cavemen games floating around here, most if not all are not as fun as the originals.

2: Do YOU have time/patients for a new game? Especially a MSPA, they seem to get exponentially more complicated and you seem to be flagging on the games you are already running.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:40:18 pm »

1. Maybe. We'll see if someone has a certain touch.
2. I'm not saying that I should, I'm saying somebody else should.