Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treeline - truth in biome labeling  (Read 1061 times)

Kidinnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Treeline - truth in biome labeling
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:40:00 am »

I've had at least three forts now that I abandoned as soon as I arrived because I selected 50% of the terrain as "woodlands" or "heavily forested" but the site was above the treeline and so had no trees or shrubs. This is really misleading in the site selection screen. I like to look at dwarf personalities & likes when planning a fort and the initial skillset, and make extensive records of my intent, but throwing away so many starts makes it hard for me to put in the effort.

The nice feature would be to preview the site before selecting the dwarves, although I know there may be game design arguments against this; the simpler feature would be more accurate biome labels.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Treeline - truth in biome labeling
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

Don't forget to check the elevation map when embarking!
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Treeline - truth in biome labeling
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

A simple fix would be to simply default land to "None" trees when it's too high up, and display it as that even if it would otherwise be "Heavily Forested."
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.