Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen options  (Read 1178 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen options
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Right now the map rejects based on certain obscure criteria. While I'm sure some of the maps are genuinely unsuitable, it might be fun to tweak the options to make certain maps more or less likely to show up, or more or less likely to be rejected.

Possible settings:

More/Fewer volcanoes/chasms
More/Fewer Terrifying/Sinister/Haunted zones
More/Fewer mineral resources
More/Fewer Megabeasts
More/Fewer "Monsters" (like ogres, batmen, etc.)
No Elves/Goblins/Humans
No Oceans/Lakes
More/Fewer large rivers

I think you get the idea. It would be nice to customize worlds more specifically to what we're looking for! I know I'm having trouble finding a volcano in a terrifying mountain zone with a major river. In fact, it's nearly impossible. But it would be cool to tweak world gen to make it much more likely.  :)

And so on and so forth.

And so on and so forth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: World gen options
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

Been suggested. Grand idea.

I want my treeless scorching volcano-ridden hellhole!

I imagine it would be set like the dimensions of a world when generating a specific world.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>I think you get the idea. It would be nice to customize worlds more specifically to what we're looking for! I know I'm having trouble finding a volcano in a terrifying mountain zone with a major river. In fact, it's nearly impossible. But it would be cool to tweak world gen to make it much more likely.   :)</STRONG>

Actually, it *is* impossible. Rivers and streams do not occur in mountain tiles, only brooks. there are rivers and streams *adjacent* to mountain tiles, but none in the tile itself. That said, this has been suggested before and I liked it then so I still like it now, and have often wished for the ability to set additional parameters for world gen.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

I just want to be able to automate the process of searching for locations. Let me plug in "volcano" "sand" "limestone" "trees" "brook" and have it generate new worlds until it finds me a 6x6 block with all of those things.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

I'm all for this, i haven't suggested it yet tho since i knows it has been suggested in the past many times  :)

I would also like to add in the option to change the climate of the world.

Normally the worlds get in a way where the top or bottom of the map is the coldest or warmest. The center being temperate. Id like to be able to set it so there would be more Cold or warm area.

Also when i make a packet world, you only get to play with temperate, never freezing or scorching.

Ive managed to get around this how ever and still keep a small world which doesn't lag my games.

I make a custom map 33x256 hehe, then i get the cold and scorching areas without too much lag from the huge map the game needs to keep loaded when your playing.

Has everyone else realized the speed boost you get from using a pocket world?

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes