Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FUN map request  (Read 1324 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
FUN map request
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:43:41 pm »

So, The Steel-Castle of Fires succumbed to... BOREDOM!

Cmon, waiting for hundreds of steel bars being smelted without any FUN was too boring, occasional siege or half-a-dosen zombie slugmen just do not cut the edge!

So, a FUN site request:
Needed:
 3x3 or 4x4 local map. (speed)
 pocket, smaller or small world. (speed)
 haunted or terrifying. (FUN)
 goblins. (FUN)
Optional:
 War with elves (FUN)
 War with humans (FUN)
 Chasm with GCS, preferably zombie or skeletal (FUN)
 Sand/iron/flux/trees/cave river/magma...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: FUN map request
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:35 am »

I don't have any of those on-hand (I like bigger maps), but if you really want more challenge, are you uninterested in the mods that provide things like orcs for more challenge?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:31 am »

Don't like mods.
Anyway, methinks, that orcs are no match for amphibious zombie whales... (not that I've seen one)

Of course, if I can't find map FUN enough in a reasonable time, I'll revert to mods. Orc mod would be the first.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:11 am »

I added 2 more goblins civs, another kobold civ, 3 orcs civs, and the top few civs from Relentless Assualt (giants, treants, ogres).  It keeps you on your toes, that's for sure!

Giants are size 17 and have massive weapons (both in size and damage).  I think they make your whale problem look pretty easy... especially when you get a large ambushing force of them!

And I've actually found that I prefer nice small maps to the larger ones, even when speed is not an issue - the smaller size means you interact with the animals and the invaders much more quickly.  On bigger maps, it becomes way, WAY too easy to deal with invaders piecemeal, and animals just don't really enter the picture at all (except for the flying predators - giant bats and giant eagles - especially when you accidentally set off wild breeding).

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:49:04 am »

Well, that's cool and all, but thaese mods make all areas fun. And I want to feel the spirit of dwarves, who went into particularly dangerous region in an average friendly world. You know, the brave outpost at the edge of local haunted forest or whatever. If there are giants and orks and whatnot it just means, that any fort will be a regular hazardous fort for this world.
Hope, that'll explain...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:48:15 am »

Oh thats why its called the steel castle of fire.  Nice moat and powerplant and underground habitat by the way!  I never have patience for that sort of stuff. 

Anyway thats the problem with vanilla.  Everyone wants a small map in some rocky desert glacier with lava rivers flowing down into exposed glowing pits while skeletal whales and goblins toss bodies into your moats until the miasma is thick enough to walk across.  Sadly that sort of expedition to hell isn't really implemented yet :'(

The best map I ever got was a terrifying major river with zombie hippos and some skeletal carp.  The carp swarm across the land and I used them for civilian wrestling practice and the zombie hippos just sat there and ate all the caravan guards every couple seasons.  At some point the creatures started to run out and the river caused lag so I abandoned.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:01:09 am »

amphibious...whales...

Wait what.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:58 am »

amphibious...whales...

Wait what.

Undead don't breathe, so they are all amphibious.  Undead land creatures don't die in water, undead water creatures don't die on land.  Whales are the largest non-megabeast in vanilla DF, but they aren't usually dangerous for several reasons... being undead removes all of those reasons, and they become quite dangerous.  Especially the skeletal ones.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »

[AQUATIC] critters air drown so they stay in the water.  Being undead means the critters ignore their [BREATH] bodyparts.  This means [AQUATIC] critters can now walk on land freely without fear of air drowning.  Although without legs, they may be forced to be prone. This does make them slower and unable to dodge.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 11:59:12 pm »

So I found a place, that can prove interesting: Terrifying heavy forested, two layers of aquifer, but with magma pipe... (Can fire imps be skeletal or zombie?)

Can anyone give advice on starting build?

Edit: zombie and skeletal fire imps, yeah! And deer.
And I screwed up aquifer penetrating project.
FUN!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:52:49 am by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant