Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Landfill  (Read 1507 times)

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
The Landfill
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »

Where dose all the earth go to when the miner digs? Rubble, plebbs, stone and other earth items sould fill upp the landfill just as water dose with 7 levels. So we have 7 levels of landfill to go up one Z level. making it possible to build a true mountain.  It could even "flow" when the difference is more then 4 or something, giving the landfill hill a nice round feel.  Naturally it sould be possible to walk up the landfill as with the upward ramp.

so when digging there is some rubble (with the flow ability) that is created along with the usable "Stone"

We found the zirilid stream

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Landfill
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »

Maybe a little searching would bring up this thread and the giant controversy over why half the forum doesn't like this suggestion.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:16:01 pm »

Toady talked at length in one of his interviews about sand being a semi-fluid, with 7 levels of it per tile.  It would complicate digging in it, and it would also make harvesting it seem less broken.  I don't see why gravel or soil couldn't be worked the same way, but it would represent a seachange in fort layout and excavation, especially if there's a lot of rubble to be managed.  With hauling labors as they are, it would take years to carry out the rubble from the dining hall alone, and we'd never get much accomplished.  When our guys use carts and wheelbarrows to move multiple objects concurrently, then this might become viable, but until then, some fuzziness in the conservation of matter is appropriate.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:06:52 am »

I like the idea of a landfill, but as HatfieldCW said, hauling has to be vastly improved first. The important part for me is to be able to convert stone and other digging rubble into "natural" land again, although somewhere else.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:29 pm »

Here is an idea, if rubble is like water but without to much flowing action happening as so it could pile up, the natural thing would be to use the Screw pump action to move it around. And as we know, the Screw pump teleports water to the other side of the map, where there is free space (could perhaps be handled differently for piling up stuff), the rubble will be teleported to wherever the Screw pump is directing it.  It can also be a nice workout for the dwarves to operate the Screw pump, or it could be hooked up to a windmill or somnot.  I also like the idea of the magma-engine to operate the rubble Screw pump..

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:34:46 am »

Not everybody knows how to use screw pumps, least of all people who are just starting to play.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:32:35 am »

Not everybody knows how to use screw pumps, least of all people who are just starting to play.
Having said that, there is incredible dwarviness in a screw pump that can teleport a stack of dirt (7) 100 or more tiles away.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:19 am »

The dwarfs mine by magic, the dirt is teleported away.  only large stones and minerals are left so thay dont get lost in the landfill pile. 

If we turn of this magic, the dwarfes would have to carry all the dirt, and if thay also had to use copper pikes then it is just like the way the acent tomes by nile were made, that is before the piramits were built.  Tere was a grand town that did nothing else, but only suvived to dig out thows graves.  So we put the magic in the screw pump and then we pump and there is gravel that comes out here, but the bottom of the tunnle is fare away.

How dose it work,  it is magic.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:19 am »

And as we know, the Screw pump teleports water to the other side of the map

Uh, no.  Screwpumps teleport the water to the other side of the screw pump.  If the destination is a place that has higher pressure then fluid flows teleports it to a place on the other side of the map, which would not happen if you're using a screw pump as you're not likely to have an active flow, powered by a screwpump, that has a 0 next to a 7 for another 7 to teleport into.