Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh god...not ERepulik again! :(  (Read 1194 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh god...not ERepulik again! :(
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »

www.empireandstate.com

How is it different than a normal MMO?

While normal MMOs tend to focus on activities suited to individuals or small groups/guilds, Empire & State will allow players to cooperatively manage an entire empire comprised of other players like themselves. This means collaborating (or competing) to elect capable political leaders, ensure strong military deployments, create the conditions for a sound economy, start and manage successful businesses, and engage in numerous other activities which mirror the management of a real-life nation-state.

To this end, Empire & State aims to be the truest political strategy and civic management simulation game in the world.
↑top

...uh huh. It appears to have some of the same features as ERepublik famously did such as...Immigration:
Immigration
Now players can move to a new empire. Immigration is located down on the players action bar. Use it to support an ally Empire, or to jump over to the winning side.
I wonder if Empire & State will reflect the role of massive co-ordinated immigration "invasions" in conquest and takeover just as well as ERepublik did.

And GRINDING for resources!

But you know how I found out about this? You know how I got horrified on this? Because this is linked in the sig of Johnatan S. Fox:
Liberal Crime Squad links:
The LCS 4.03 thread - LCS on Sourceforge - The LCS Wiki
Other things I work on:
Preparing for the Apocalypse - Empire and State

If you ever were curious about the gender of Johnatan S. Fox, you can check here to see a video of him/her/it talking about the game, but John, if you are reading this, I warn you! From the Bay12 community to you: please don't resurrect the horrors of ERepublik! Or if you will persist in this folly, please learn from their mistakes!

We were there, John: E. Albright and I, and loads of other people went in the hell of eRepublik, to conquer eThailand for the glory of the Dwarven race. We were faced with loads of problems, such as the inability of non-organized hordes to cooperate, forum invasions, lack of support from the company itself, election fraud, currency manipulation and RMT. This may be the fate of your "Empire and State" pretender, John! Only fools press onward.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:02:35 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god...not ERepulik again! :(
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »

here we go again.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »

Don't hate on Jonathan. Really, though, don't want to come off as rude, but don't make a topic just criticizing an ERepublic clone.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:53 pm »

(I don't mean to hate on him, or his game, but I do want to draw attention to the past, in the hopes that this informs his decisions in making this game. I mean, the game is currently in alpha, so it's possible an early intervention might allow it to avert the problems I felt eRepublik had. Meh.)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:56 pm »

eRepulik had an interesting theory, but once they took it from beta to v1.0, it failed miserably. Since jonathon is a competent or better programmer, unlike those from eRepublik who threw out 80% of their beta code when going to v1.0, this might be a decent game. Just, learn from the horror of eRepulik.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:35:14 pm »

If you ever were curious about the gender of Johnatan S. Fox, you can check here to see a video of him/her/it talking about the game, but John, if you are reading this, I warn you! From the Bay12 community to you: please don't resurrect the horrors of ERepublik! Or if you will persist in this folly, please learn from their mistakes!
It's obviously a XX male. Or a XY female.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:08:02 am »

These sorts of games could be interesting if the prospects involved something better than ruling over a bunch of automatons who just login once a day to click the work button. Unless someone makes control of an individual complex, the concept feels pointless.