Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few suggestions to make dwarven life easier  (Read 1299 times)

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
A few suggestions to make dwarven life easier
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:38:09 pm »

Maybe these have been mentioned before, but I went through some 10 pages without spotting them outright. So will post them anyway:

Wheel barrows: You could make wheel barrows (out of 3 woods, 3 stone or 3 metal bars (or combinations?), that your haulers could then wheel around. It'd act like a mobile container, allowing them to put some 10 items in them before going off to the (D)umping ground or the stone stockpile, depending on how many things are assigned and how many things need moving.
Maybe assign them like you would dogs? Would prevent your craftsman to hog it even though he only brings a single stone over to his workshop to make some bolts.

Hauling multiple light and/or small things. Alternate title: Folding clothes: So a goblin dies in front of your gate. You designate his stuff to be grabbable, and then the dwarves come out and start looting it. It takes *months* to clear up several dead goblins' stuff. Why? Because a dwarf will head over, lift a goblin's right leg up, remove a single sock, then cheerfully carry it over to the clothes pile. I think a dwarf should be able to remove, at the very least, a shirt, a pair of pants, a couple socks, and put a cap on top and haul that little pile instead of moving by one by one.
Realistically, a single dwarf could strip a dead goblin (or captured goblin) and carry all of their clothes, minus weapons/shields or other heavier, iron stuff.
Could tie in with the wheel barrow idea, but I have trouble imagining a dwarf wanting to carry a single sock instead of a full pile. Economics-wise, it could count as multiple hauling jobs, since it's per-item, and they'd make plenty of cash hauling dead goblin stuff. Makes sense to me.

Daisy-chains: A pond to fill with buckets? A pesky hauling job (like dead goblin clothes)? Designate a daisy-chain! You could make a line, and the dwarves would line up as if stationed. You'd have the leader, next to the job itself, and you'd have the various dwarves leading up to where you want the hauling to start.
For the clothes idea, he'd take a sock, hand it to the dwarf behind him, who'd hand it to the dwarf behind him, to the dwarf... etc, who'd then put it in the stock pile, ready to accept the next, incoming sock.
For the pond idea, you'd have your chain going to the river or well, and a couple buckets would circulate back and forth.
..Probably kind of nightmarish to imagine dwarves doing, to be honest, but still throwing it out there.

Think that's all I can think of at the moment.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: A few suggestions to make dwarven life easier
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:23 pm »

I like the idea of wheelbarrows being assignable, but you couldn't really make them out of stone, they'd be to heavy.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:19:31 pm »

Another idea I just got from reading another, unrelated suggestion post:

Gates! Main entrance gates.
Yes, you can simulate it by having 3 floodgates on a lever, or a drawbridge, but it doesn't really strike the same sort of feeling.
Think the mines of Moria. Big ol', engraved door encrusted with jewels.
It could be locked (though maybe not the same way normal doors would be. probably a lever), but when unlocked, it would allow wagons through.

Just seems like it'd fit the feeling.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:40 pm »

Are Daisy Chains really all that effective? I am starting to think that Long ones are actually ineffective.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:29:04 pm »

Well, I imagine it'd work pretty well for the goblin's socks examples. Make a chain to the clothespile and haul one item back, without running back and forth.
Not so much with the splash water into a pond, though, unless you have two chains (one to bring the bucket back, one to bring the bucket in)

On that note, you should be able to have your dwarves do some firefighting when a fire imp decides to click his zippo.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

I like the idea of wheelbarrows being assignable, but you couldn't really make them out of stone, they'd be to heavy.

Mind you, not ALL stone is heavy.  Most of it is, though, and the stone that IS light might not be worth attempting to make wheelbarrows out of.  Pumice comes to mind, and while this porous, volcanic rock is very light (it weighs about as much as a sponge of its size, and floats to boot), it is also very abrasive, as it's all full of cheese-grater-like holes.  At least, the pieces I've handled are.

Aaanyway.  c.c  Not all stone is heavy.  Certain stone might be worth using, but it wouldn't be common stuff, so wood and metal are probably better.

As for the aforementioned entrance gates... I must admit I'd like to be able to make an impressive 3, 5, or 7-tile door for my main entrance.  I've been using a bunch of grates to act as a portcullis, but that's just not the same as enormous doors.  I hadn't thought of floodgates.  Maybe I'll start adding a second layer just for looks.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »

Maybe these have been mentioned before, but I went through some 10 pages without spotting them outright. So will post them anyway:

Wheel barrows: You could make wheel barrows (out of 3 woods, 3 stone or 3 metal bars (or combinations?), that your haulers could then wheel around. It'd act like a mobile container, allowing them to put some 10 items in them before going off to the (D)umping ground or the stone stockpile, depending on how many things are assigned and how many things need moving.
Maybe assign them like you would dogs? Would prevent your craftsman to hog it even though he only brings a single stone over to his workshop to make some bolts.

It's been suggested before. Though repeated suggestions are welcome so long as you develop the idea, this is pretty much exactly the same concept as is in the eternal voting thread. This would also be difficult to code, as it would require  much more advanced AI (and thus more processing power) for dwarves to understand that certain items go to the same location.

An easier solution would be where "Hauling" zones were designated and any item that didn't belong there (such as constructions or items already in a stockpile) would be moved to a wagon/cart/pack animal and hauled to a "Dropping" zone. No AI fuss, as dwarves just grab everything that isn't nailed down and take it to a single location, and it's still a vast improvement over the current implementation.

Hauling multiple light and/or small things. Alternate title: Folding clothes: So a goblin dies in front of your gate. You designate his stuff to be grabbable, and then the dwarves come out and start looting it. It takes *months* to clear up several dead goblins' stuff. Why? Because a dwarf will head over, lift a goblin's right leg up, remove a single sock, then cheerfully carry it over to the clothes pile. I think a dwarf should be able to remove, at the very least, a shirt, a pair of pants, a couple socks, and put a cap on top and haul that little pile instead of moving by one by one.
Realistically, a single dwarf could strip a dead goblin (or captured goblin) and carry all of their clothes, minus weapons/shields or other heavier, iron stuff.

Could tie in with the wheel barrow idea, but I have trouble imagining a dwarf wanting to carry a single sock instead of a full pile. Economics-wise, it could count as multiple hauling jobs, since it's per-item, and they'd make plenty of cash hauling dead goblin stuff. Makes sense to me.

Also been said before, though I'm not sure if it's on the eternal voting thread this time. While it's a great concept, and I'm 90% sure Toady realizes this is a problem, it's an issue with the AI.

Daisy-chains: A pond to fill with buckets? A pesky hauling job (like dead goblin clothes)? Designate a daisy-chain! You could make a line, and the dwarves would line up as if stationed. You'd have the leader, next to the job itself, and you'd have the various dwarves leading up to where you want the hauling to start.
For the clothes idea, he'd take a sock, hand it to the dwarf behind him, who'd hand it to the dwarf behind him, to the dwarf... etc, who'd then put it in the stock pile, ready to accept the next, incoming sock.
For the pond idea, you'd have your chain going to the river or well, and a couple buckets would circulate back and forth.
..Probably kind of nightmarish to imagine dwarves doing, to be honest, but still throwing it out there.

Think that's all I can think of at the moment.

Eh, I don't see how this would be faster, honestly. The only advantage to this would be for getting all the goblin crap inside quickly before you sort it into the requisite piles (be it goblinite, saleable clothing, or chasm'd).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325