Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What to do with captured creatures?  (Read 1908 times)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
Re: What to do with captured creatures?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:39 pm »

A high tower with a "pit" to throw the goblins off...several z-levels above the barracks.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »

I've got around 50 goblins I need to find a use for, so I designed a torture tower filled with whip traps that ends in one of three different ways:
1. A lever is pulled to make a 3x3 drill-shaped structure smash through the ceiling, fall through the hollow center of the tower, hits the goblin, then goes through the floor into an underground chamber filled with spikes. The bad thing about this is that you have to rebuild the drill, and it sometimes misses.
2. If the drill does miss the goblin, then you pull another lever to make spikes shoot up through the floor around the edges where the drill doesn't pass through.
3. Or you can skip the above and send the goblin through the drowning chamber connected to the tower.

For the few goblins I don't kill in the torture tower, I either throw them 40 z-levels off the execution tower, or I drop them into the arena for my marksdwarves/giant desert scorpion.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

While arenas are slow to set up, they do count towards the kill counts of your champions, so if you want to pad out your kill counts, but your Entry Hall O'Doom is ripping seiges to shreds, that's one way to do it. 

You can even hold off on stripping them naked if you feel that it's too hollow a victory to chop nearly helpless naked elves in half simply to pad kill counts (or rather, a bit of a lie to brag about kill counts of unarmed prisoners as if they were an advancing horde).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

my suggestion: see all the posts above me......do all of them.  one thing i havent seen anyone mention yet is you can do stuff like drop them off cliffs....dont have a cliff you say? BUILD ONE. (tower or channeling)  one other thing you can do thats entertaining to do with an elf is to channel a 1x1 square out in the middle of a dining room, drop him inside, and then put flooring over it....then he will forever be a part of your fortress.   ;D

and remember, magma solves all problems......period.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:32:03 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 02:59:01 am »

A lever is pulled to make a 3x3 drill-shaped structure smash through the ceiling, fall through the hollow center of the tower, hits the goblin, then goes through the floor into an underground chamber filled with spikes.

You sir, are my hero.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:43 am »

A lever is pulled to make a 3x3 drill-shaped structure smash through the ceiling, fall through the hollow center of the tower, hits the goblin, then goes through the floor into an underground chamber filled with spikes.

You sir, are my hero.
May Armok bless you.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »

one other thing you can do thats entertaining to do with an elf is to channel a 1x1 square out in the middle of a dining room, drop him inside, and then put flooring over it....then he will forever be a part of your fortress.   ;D

Make sure the flooring is made of glass. Imagine how awesome it would be to come back to the fort in adventure mode and look down into a bunch of dead elves in cages... It would really say something about your fort.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »

These cage traps intrigue me.  They make me moist in my secret places.  Please elaborate on proper cage setup, movement, and control.

They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:09 pm »

Send them to the circus to play with the clowns.  Then have your engraver carve the &.g.& and !!g!!  all over your dining room.  Some of your dorfs might get mad that goblins are having all the Fun while they have to work though.  To avoid unhappiness just toss some of the extra creature cages into your dining room for a zoo and set up some spike traps and levers for the kids and nobles to play with. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 02:09:58 am »

Just strip the gobbo soldiers of any valuables, and release them outside the fort, via a cage trap/lever. Imagine the Goblin king when he sees his crack troops returning nekky, and unarmed.
 As for the snatchers, and thieves, they get a 1 way trip to my bear pit.
 *Still wonders if you release  the ex-besiegers, will you keep up a continuous stream of iron items returning, for recycling.*  ;D
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 06:14:51 am »

Release them into the HFS..... 200 goblins, CAN kill a few fire clowns!
Pages: 1 [2]