Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rock Depot  (Read 1830 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rock Depot
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »

Kinda of an interesting idea I had.

Lots and lots of items tend to slow down a fort pretty rapidly and look bad. To some extent, one can clean up rock by dumping it into a quantum stockpile, but these items are still in the game (just compressed into one tile) so they are still kept track of by the game, and have effects like causing a loooooong lag if you dare highlight the stone screen under stocks.

There is a new building called the Rock Depot. It could be five by five. The rock depot would have a couple of commands.
1) Make rock pallet
     A dwarf with stone hauling would drag 5 (or whatever) stones of the same type to the Rock Depot, where they would be replaced by a [stone] pallet. Five chunks of Microline = 1 Microline Pallet. This Pallet would then count as a single item in the game (possibly with its own sub-menu under stocks)
2) Break down pallet
     Pallets wouldn't be good for anything other then storage, so to get the stone back, one would have this task, which would split the nearest pallet back into five rocks. It'd be nice if there was some sort way to choose which pallet was broken down (with something like the melt command or a format like the jeweler's shop maybe).

If it works, one could decrease the number of object in a fort (and it should work the same with any object that lack quality levels, like Microline blocks) without resorting to an exploit like quantum stock piling or atom smashing. The rocks would also be recoverable.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Depot
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:42:40 pm »

I like the idea of stone storage within an item but why not just add this to the mason's workshop instead of adding a whole new (huge) workshop?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:58 pm »

Won't this all be doable with custom workshops in the new release?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »

what if you can put wheels on it and move around a pseudo-wall ?
: P

It won't look like a normal wall, but you can push it around and block up critical spots with lots of em.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »

It'd require hardcoding, but the rock depot could also just accept rocks, which then "vanish" from parts of the game memory.  They'd still be counted toward wealth, and be listed on your stocks, and they'd be listed on the depot's menu, but their position would no longer be kept track of at all.  They'd just be gone until needed.  Of course, if your depot got magmafied or caved in on or deconstructed, your frame rate would drop to about 2 for several minutes, while all the rocks stored within spewed out.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:14 pm »

I think moreso allowing you to make Bricks instead of Blocks, and Bricks don't need a Bin to be stored in stacks would be a major improvement. Same could be said for planks for Wood.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:22:27 pm »

I just think miners, including legendary miners, should just create a lot less stone. And then, they should mine veins, gems, and such much slower, but with a higher success rate of creating gems and ores.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:44 pm »

Maybe that could be set in the Orders menu.  Dwarves recover all stone / economic stone / do not recover stone.  Digging without generating a boulder should also probably be faster.  Win/win.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:00 pm »

Well we have already a structure that could serve as Rock depot. "Stacks" Normaly they contain a number Items with many many informations (which make re-stacking quite hard). Speced down to the "raw material"-type and item-type they could serve very well as rock-depots and it would rather easy to restack them. Same would work for wood i guess.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.