Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d17] Interface "jumps" multiple z-levels when looking around  (Read 1173 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d17] Interface "jumps" multiple z-levels when looking around
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »

I'm noticing in 40d17 (and the same problem does not exist in 40d16) that when the fort is very busy, it's accepting inputs and processing screen movement that the player cannot see. What am I talking about? In 40d16 if your fort lags really hard due to pathfinding, you can press movement keys and the screen won't really go anywhere until it's done thinking. When it finishes, the screen will move as many times as you asked it to and no more, and you can see this happen even if each level only shows for a few frames. As of 40d17, it seems to both read and process these types of keypresses when it's too busy to show them to the player or accurately count the keypresses. The result is that if I'm trying to move my camera down several z-levels, e.g. 2-3, if the fort lags, when it unlags i'll just suddenly have my screen jump down 4-6 levels instead. I had one epic case where I was looking at level 1 of my workshop complex and trying to go down a level to see level 2, but my view jumped back and forth between 1 and 3--never showing me 2 or stopping on 2--all off a single keypress each time. The game is counting keypresses multiple times when it's busy thinking because apparently it doesn't acknowledge that the key was released but does acknowledge that it was pressed down and held down.

This seems to me, to be related to the recent interface\key binding changes, please don't chalk this up as a minor quirk, it has made navigating around my fort significantly more annoying when the dwarves are dumping stone and the like, as each time a dwarf asks for a path my 1 press of ctrl-5 sends my view down 5+ z-levels or pressing shift-leftarrow pushes my view 2 whole screens to the left.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.