Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warriors taking trophies  (Read 2444 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors taking trophies
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 11:52:59 am »

In any case I don't think that it should make soldiers to replace their gear, but it may be stored in their chests/weapon racks/armor stands.
Thanks, that's really what I meant all along :)
Taking the trophies for display, not for use.

Now, based on yesterday's Dwarf Fortress Talk episode, about how dwarves making an artifact once upon a time had a chance of becoming possessive of their artifact, it could be cool if the same thing could happen to things as trophies, and items the dwarf is otherwise emotionally attached to; the dwarf trying to keep the item by him all the time, carrying it around just for the sake of not losing it, not because it's actually useful.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:30 pm »

I think it should be controlled by ethics. So you could have a race that doesn't care about trophies, perhaps because they think they're "above" that (elves maybe, they just eat their kills, they don't wear them), a race that makes trophies to remember special kills (killed a local leader, shot the goblin king, wrestled a hydra naked, etc), and one that makes trophies for everything that gets recorded in worldgen (making trophies every time they swipe a pair of xXXPig Tail Trousers XXx from the aftermath of a battle).

That would give modders a lot to work with, and allow players who don't want to risk losing valuable goblinite/quality champion weapons to recruits who want to "remember the kill" to mod it out.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »

You could link it to the conflict, rather than to the specific killing blow.  If "The Barricaded Gears" and "The Fleshy Ropes" are sent out to defend your fort during "The Singed Raid" of 237, all the squad leaders get a service ribbon from that battle, but instead of a service ribbon it's a semi-artifact item that they make out of some piece of loot or remains.  A beak dog claw for this guy, a goblin spear for another guy, and they get modded somehow and hung in the barracks to generate happy thoughts for soldiers.  After a few decades, you could have a trophy wall with mementos from each fight your fort survived.
I brake for stumble bumblings
Pages: 1 [2]