Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me construct my perfect world!  (Read 889 times)

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Help me construct my perfect world!
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »

Been a while since I last posted here, or played Dwarf fortress  :P

I'm trying to mess around with the worldgen to make a very specific kind of world, one that gives me plenty of sites with lava pipes, chasms, rivers, as well as uniformly evil with varying degrees of savagery. Mountains with plenty of iron, flux, and obsidian along with plenty of hostile goblin, kobold and evil human civilizations. My plan is to try and make a tower out of pure obisidian in such a place beset by evil on all sides. The early game would involve quickly tunneling into the mountain to eke out an existence safe from beasts, followed by later constructing the mightiest tower the world has ever seen.

So far I manage to make worlds that don't generate at all, anybody got a working set of paramaters for something like what I've described?
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Help me construct my perfect world!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:13:28 am »

Well, the odds of getting something like that naturally are essentially nil, you need to start really meddling with the world gen parameters.

Upping the variability of various features per difference of tile will help make biomes smaller, hopefully letting you have access to more biomes in any given embark.  You should also try upping vulcanism, and the minimum number of volcanos.  If you want an underground river plus flux, you pretty much have to have a volcanic mountain coming out near a flatland with a magma vent, so that you get a nice ignious extrusive/intrusive mountain next to a nice sedimentary flatland (preferably a forest).  I don't think you can mess with good/evil, however...

As long as you have access to plenty of sedimentary flux, like chalk, you shouldn't have any trouble finding iron - stone like chalk practically swims in magnetite.  (Hopefully, you can get one with sand on it, as well.) (Plus, you don't need to go looking for iron, iron comes to you, wrapped around little trap-testers we like to call goblins.)  Likewise, if you have running water and a magma vent, you don't need to go looking for obsidian.

If you want serious seiges, however, you might want to look into Orc mods, Dig Deeper, or maybe the Relentless Assault mod.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:20:08 am »

In terms of getting everyone to hate you, goblins will always attack, but you can leave out things for kobolds to steal near the map edges so they eventually begin sieging, kill human diplomats and traders after seizing their goods, and stockpile wood while also slaughtering/ripping off elves to ultimately get everyone hating on you. But it's more or less hopeless to actually expect to generate a world where everyone's already at war with you.

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:03:26 am »

I've found the best way to adjust settings without getting more map rejects is to mess with the weighted ranges. For instance I usually put the 80-100 range of volcanism at 16. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Advanced_world_generation#World_Painter_Parameters has the requirements for all the biomes. I think turning down the mesh size gives more variability, but I'm not sure about that.  On that wiki page it links to a thread that has some more information, but it can be a little abstruse.

You could also try world painting, but I dunno how that works with the stone types. The problem is that magma usually precludes iron and flux(except marble) so you gotta find a spot right on a seam.

As for the beset on all sides things, yeah like Kohaku said, you might want to check out the Orc mod, otherwise you'll just have to get lucky with a history seed and high savagery.
You win this round, magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:17:51 am »

When you have a "volcano" magma vents will shoot up through sedimentary layers, or really, anywhere.  The map I'm playing right now has a volcanic mountainrange and ignius rock mountains, but the actual magma vent is in the sand/chalk/marble/gabbro shrubland biome. 

It's a mirthful shrubland, though, so I doubt it's what you want.

As for rejects... well, honestly, I tend to just play my gameboy or read a book while doing worldgens.  That, or go make a sandwich.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 05:31:01 am »

Just turn the evil square count up to something ridiculous, I've sat there testing, its literally the only worldgen setting that affects the evilness of a place.

[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:5500:8800:15000

oddly it also seems to affect glacier spawns, adding this to my almost fully tropicial world made a god damn lot of tundra glaciers.
Nevermind, sleep deprivation making me imagine things.

swicth your volcanisim out for say
   [VOLCANISM:80:100:1600:1600]
or even.
   [VOLCANISM:100:100:1600:1600]

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:Fiery deathly 129x129]
[DIM:257:257]
[END_YEAR:500]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:200:400]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]