Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Profession: Thrower  (Read 1110 times)

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
Profession: Thrower
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:54:28 am »

So, one of my friends just came in telling a story about getting a professional thrower in fort mode. A dorf was building walls and managed to wall himself in with a cat and nothing else. He soon started tantrumning and throwing the cat around, and eventually wound up as a professional thrower. Unfortunately no screenshots were taken and the dorf soon died, but I plan to begin independent research soon. Has this ever happened before?
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Profession: Thrower
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:52 am »

It could easily happen if you are giving your dwarves African quality living conditions but to advanced fortresses this isn't really much of a common occurence.

if that dwarf were alive, he/she could throw a cup so hard it would kill someone.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:33:44 am »

It's very difficult to develop decent Throwing skills in Fortress mode without going insane... since Tantrums are the only way to practice, and too many Tantrums will drive you nuts.

Try walling him in, but with a hole in the roof through which you can drop him a good drink or a tasty meal whenever he seems to be on the verge of losing it completely.
Never pet a burning dog.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:50:03 am »

Has this ever happened before?

Not to professional level, I don't think.

Which is why I highly doubt the truth of the story. If the dwarf was tantrumming, he would be more likely to kill the cat than throw it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:08:56 am »

Not to professional level, I don't think.

Which is why I highly doubt the truth of the story.

The unlikelihood of attaining such high skill (that's level 10, right?), coupled with the thread title, made me think that the OP meant that the tantruming dwarf had thrower as his job description. Accordingly, the skill was likely as low as no label or even novice.

Also, the mere possibility of attaining throwing experience - though logical and expected - in fortress mode is news to me. Goes to show that I'm either savescumming too much, or am playing in too friendly environments, otherwise I would have been more familiar with tantrums.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:10:48 am by assimilateur »

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »

While it is possible to get skill points in throw, and the profession name is thrower, I really doubt the story is the least bit true.  It isn't possible to pick up live, non-vermin animals!
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »

I've had a few throwers myself, but as they were nobles their job title never changes.

The meeting area tends to have some clutter with rocks laying around all over the place. They were throwing tantrums, using boulders left over from mining to fling about the room causing various injuries.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »

The odds of a Dwarf being a tantrumer who will not go berserk but will throw cats around is very small.

But if you look at his personality traits maybe you can figure it out.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »

It isn't possible to pick up live, non-vermin animals!

That is an important piece of information right there, but not necessarily in this situation. We should probably be aware of this due to the fact that you can't milk cows as opposed to maggots (vermin).

The fact that you can't pick up live large creatures doesn't, strictly speaking, make this story a fabrication. I mean, couldn't the tantrumer have first smashed the cat's head in and then practiced throwing by using its corpse?

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:03 pm »

Couldn't he throw a rock, kill the cat, then throw cat bits?
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.