Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Future Historians.  (Read 1161 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Future Historians.
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:21:03 pm »

Lets pretend we're five thousand years into the future, we're historians, and we're trying to find out what the hell happened during the 1900 and 2000's.  Naturally, the number of historical sources begins to erode with time.  In essence, we are playing:

The Telephone Game - With Modern History.

Game Format
  • The first poster chooses a time frame and geological location to study.  They also choose the maximum number of news stories that may be plucked per year/month/week, etc and a specific topic to research.
  • The first poster then chooses an obscure news story from that time which is "discovered."
  • Poster number 2 then picks the next news story - while following the rules, of course - and explains if it is relevant to the previous post or not.
  • After every 10 news stories have been recovered, we must put them into story form as if it were the most important historic event of that time - ever.
  • Once the max number of news stories have been drawn from a requested time period, the short stories must be summarized as an advertisement of the official history book of X location and Y event to be refrenced by eager people around the world!
  • Repeat from step 1

General Rules
  • Players may forgo their turn to have intellectual debate on historic items retrieved at any time.
  • No insulting your fellow intellectual historial colleagues or his theories into important historic events.
  • Maximum of 30 news stories per research project.
  • Sources must be provided for your historic finds.
  • Although the historic find can be anything, from news article to random picture, it must come from the time frame in question.  Forgeries will not be tolerated!
  • Historians are unable to magically know things about the source material that is not presented by the source material.
  • We don't have time for more than a page of information, we have space volleyball to attend, you know!

and as the first poster, I choose.  Summary of World History between the years 1899 and 1999
Max 1 news story per 5 years.  Stories may originate from anywhere and be of any topic.
((A reminder that the news story found is considered the most important event for that time period))

For this great undertaking into uncovering the mysteries of the 19th century, I present this public health report.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1999136/?page=1

Apparently an area known as the United States, had been battling some disease called "Typhus Fever" between the years of 1883 and 1909. the report also mentions "New York", "Philadelphia", and "Baltimore" Which I believe are "States" of this "United States"  As there is no information as to the population of the United States at this time and they have published this as the main health report on the front page stating 255 total cases.  We can deduce the total population of the United States to be below 100 000 people, why else would they take the time to report, (on the front page.)  A total of 255 cases of this affliction!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:17:03 pm by Qloos »

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future Historians.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »

http://www.phillyh2o.org/backpages/MSB_Water/MSBW_Clergy.jpg

Hmm yes I see.  Going back further to 1899 I see a cross reference of this "Philadelphia" and more of them fighting Typhoid.  The people at this time were fighting the idea of having their water supply filtrated.  This article also says that the people were dumping their sewage into a "Lake Michigan", and drawing from Schuylkill which was thought to be contaminated.

This may lead to further discoveries about poor sanitation choices in this era.
Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »

The following time periods are now blocked from use in the 1899 - 1999 range.
1899 - 1903
1904 - 1908
1909 - 1913

From that same article, I assume that water filtration and councils were the cause of the water contamination?  Also it's strange how your article places Philadelphia as a city of America, it seems during those 8 years Philadelphia has risen from a city state to a larger "state" of the United States and has broken off from the American Nation.

I present this vague "Scientific America" Magazine cover.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCIENTIFIC-AMERICAN-MAY-4-1907-PREHISTORIC-INHABITANT-/200602720452
The picture itself is the discovery

Egads!  It seems "America" was experimenting with Genetic sequences to create dangerous creatures!  Or such creatures existed during this time.  Perhapse my filtration and council theory was wrong. . .

. . . or maybe the councils and filtration is the cause of such creatures!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:44:40 pm by Qloos »

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

http://www.archives.com/genealogy/images/World_war_1_tribune.png

War was right around the corner for these people.  This magazine page suggests rapid advances in technology.  Since this article even exists we should rightly assume that those of New York won and subdued the Philadelphia rebellion with these giant creatures.   Medicine seems to have advanced too.   Queueing from the start article it looks like the majority of typhoid cases seems to have died down.  Whatever happened here must have worked!  The seeds of bioengineering on their own people, or population control with superior weaponry on an unclean people who stepped out of line against a powerful neighbour?   Those reptile-looking creatures look like they'd take huge amounts of force to take down.   The article talks about "what cost" war had...   My previous article says the filtration system would have cost $12 000 000 of their earth dollars.   Maybe war was cheaper and more effective?   Could this be a military-industrial complex run by technocrats to bring forward an era of economic prosperity by any means necessary?
Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:00 pm »

The following time periods are now blocked from use in the 1899 - 1999 range.
1899 - 1903
1904 - 1908
1909 - 1913
1914 - 1918
1919 - 1923

I see, the american article was a warning to Philadelpia about the invading monsters from the united states of New York and Baltimore.

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Source: http://www.ballergear.com/category.sc?categoryId=4

I have discovered what I believe to be the army uniform for the state of Baltimore.  The black and white stood out so that the DNA altered creatures could identify them easily and not eat them in the field of war.  What Black "Sox" were is still a mystery.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:47:44 pm by Qloos »