Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Being able to farm Megabeasts?  (Read 999 times)

MrCasual

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Being able to farm Megabeasts?
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:29:46 am »

I'm not sure if this is possible or not already since I never really got THAT far in DF, but the idea of your Dwarves with their own underground hatcheries of tame Dragons or tame Hydra babies would be awesome.

I'm aware that this could be overpowered, but could be balanced if the megabeast babies take a long time to turn into adults, like 10 years or more possibly for them to mature.

With Dragons possibly getting the ability to fly and strafe enemies, an entire swarm of them might turn all sieges into cakewalks, with the exception of maybe a Spirit of Fire infestation...but I love the idea of Dwarves being lucky and strong enough to actually raise Dragons and / or Hydras and have Dragon skulls, bones, and scales decorating their entire fortress.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Being able to farm Megabeasts?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:32:53 am »

I think you can raw it.Actually,I think it's possible anyway.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:18:51 am »

Megabeast reproduction is on dev_next:

#  I.B: Wilderness population/megabeast reproduction and improved population tracking (Core78) 

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »

yeah I had 2 GCS and tried to breed them, but then realized they don't breed, and dragons didnt breed, so I made them a semi-megabeast and idk if they bred but they sure were more present in worldgen.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:46 pm »

yeah I had 2 GCS and tried to breed them, but then realized they don't breed, and dragons didnt breed, so I made them a semi-megabeast and idk if they bred but they sure were more present in worldgen.

Well, there would probably be fewer of them but they'd be more visible. The Sites and Pops document that you can get when you gen a world leaves off chasm populations (and magma, and underground water). I suspect most GCS get placed in chasms, because they've got a high difficulty which makes them get placed deep in caves, but most caves are not deep enough, so they get left out. Making them a Megabeast would just scatter a handfull of them throughout the caves, and remove the chasm populations.

Getting back on topic though, when a Megabeast can be controlled or domesticated, it ceases to be a megabeast or a monster, and just becomes an animal. Real monsters need some mystery.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to have something like an "Echidna".  (That is, the cthonic Greek goddess who was known as the "mother of monsters".)

She would have the special property of being able to give birth to any kind of creature (or, for the sake of keeping in interesting, only really large/deadly creatures) every year, being a renewable supply of any creature in the raw files, potentially keeping anything from ever truly going extinct as long as she lives.

There would, however, only be one of her.  Since she is a 'goddess', though, it might be a good idea to make her the ruler of a civ, so that she has plenty of bodyguards. (For example, a kobold or goblin civ, but hey, maybe sometimes a elf civ.  Lord knows they like living with weird creatures.)

She could also be a major target for all those genocidal adventurers out there, as well.

Anyway, if she does get her own civ, there might be a randomizer that makes it so that adult megabeasts beyond a certain number (like 2) that are kept as "pets" for her civ are released into the wild, but still would avoid killing her own civ members.  (Maybe have a megabeast-friendly tag?  Sounds even more elven...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:48:47 am »

Imagine giving that tag to dwarves, would be funny.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:47:42 am »

There would, however, only be one of her.  Since she is a 'goddess', though, it might be a good idea to make her the ruler of a civ, so that she has plenty of bodyguards. (For example, a kobold or goblin civ, but hey, maybe sometimes a elf civ.  Lord knows they like living with weird creatures.)

She could also be a major target for all those genocidal adventurers out there, as well.

Anyway, if she does get her own civ, there might be a randomizer that makes it so that adult megabeasts beyond a certain number (like 2) that are kept as "pets" for her civ are released into the wild, but still would avoid killing her own civ members.  (Maybe have a megabeast-friendly tag?  Sounds even more elven...)

Again, not a monster. If your country was run by a giant snake lady, you might be freaked out at first, but pretty soon you'd just think of her as just the same as any other politician. Monsters are wierd, scary and unknowable. Something like an elephant looks far more hideous and messed-up than a dragon, or a bronze collossus, but there's no mystery about it so it doesn't frighten anyone. Likewise a deformed monster festooned with acid-spraying orifices isn't so alarming when you learn that the civilization two tiles over is keeping them as pets.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:32 am »

Fine, "creature".  (Elephants were previously ravenous dwarf-eating monsters, too, you know...)  I'm used to RPGs where they'll call the fluffy little mascot critter the team has a "monster" that I don't really think twice about the term.

Plus, elves keep just about everything they can get their tree-hugging mitts on as pets already, anyway...

Anyway, if Echidna's a civ leader of a hostile civ, and she sends out megabeast children only as the head of truly massive seiges, (and keep them hidden otherwise), then they could still be a mysterious and fearsome asset.  Something like the fantasy equivalent of a stealth bomber airstrike.

Actually, in that regard, it might be cool if such megabeasts had a retinue of personal guards.  That way, when one shows up, instead of just being a lone megabeast, or a megabeast and a couple squads, the seige you are facing could suddenly go from the 5 squads you were expecting to all of a sudden facing 10 squads and a megabeast.  Then next year, it's just 6 squads again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare