Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Olympics  (Read 1660 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
DF Olympics
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:20 am »

Seeing as it's the Olympic season, we need some community challenges using DF in the style of the Olympics. Race matters not, nationality of race matters not. We're here to have some fun.

For example:
In DF or Adv. mode
Quote from: Hammer Toss
Using a Hammerer, how far can they launch their target from contact point to contact point? More points per limb-lop.

Adv. Mode:
Quote from: Marathon
A planned course on a world map (preferably a large one, or a long path) will be made, everyone starts their adventurer from the starting spot; log the start date, and end date of the run (provided you can survive it); the difference between the times wil be logged as your score, lower is better.
Now there are 2 forms of the marathon, 1) Allows use of (T)ravel. 2) Doesn't (you may need quite a bit of time reserved doing it this way, but bonus points will be rewarded for using it). Upon starting from the assigned start point, log the date/time you began (in game). You cannot save until you cross the finish line, or cross a checkpoint (you must announce the current date you saved at the checkpoint, or provide a screenshot of it). More bonus points (make that no penalties, actually) if you can do this in one sitting without saving. Anyone attending any listed marathon must use the same map (Downloaded, Worldgen, or Seed) that may be listed.

Fortress Mode:
Quote from: High Dive
Using a bridgeapult and a pool of any depth (as long as there's a sort of bull's-eye visible underwater, and a citizen with any swimming skill (preferably); One must launch their citizen into the water. Accuracy (closest to center of a 5x5 flat circular target, difficulty (Initial height of the launch (how tall the building is, or the Z-level the 'pult was used from), depth of water and skill of dwarf (strength, agility, swimming skill, etc. especially) and injuries incurred by poor sap will be accounted for the score. Bonus points for additional height achieved by the launch. Scored in 2 ways: 1) How intact the dwarf is and 2) How much he isn't (explode into gore). Either one + accuracy * difficulty multiplier.

These are just a few ideas. I'm open to more, and anyone willing to keep score/rank.

Feel free to try any of them out. Everyone's welcome to join in the Games, from Dwarves to Kobolds. Also feel free to livestream it (or post a Youtube video) if you can for further proof of your accomplishment. DFMA movies are also acceptable.

Oh, and if you have any event ideas, just follow the same format I'm using:
Quote from: Event Name
Info about event (brief description)
Requirements
Qualifiers for the event
Additional notes
The quotes just makes it easier to tell them apart from the rest of the text. Plus, I think they're spoiler-friendly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:31:16 am by Itnetlolor »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:39:03 pm »

I saw the hammer hitting, one verse many dwarf fort comp.  Where a partially trained hammerdwarf, is given a hammer, and sent against opponents, kill count, farthest hit, and wounds all count towards the score.
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »

Considering we're using olympians, we'll need the best extremes we can find (high and low, depending on level of challenge being applied; I'm allowing high-ball (best) and low-ball (worst) scoring.

I suppose the ultimates (Morul, Ironblood, etc.) can participate. They can be the world record setters for the high-ball scoring.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:49 pm »

I believe Morul holds the current record of ~150 tiles. Check his thread for exact details.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:16:02 pm »

I somehow see potential in this. 5 year fort, at the 5 year mark you count the number of elves killed. Highest number wins!
Most trees chopped in 1 year!
Biggest boozepile in 1 year!
Least carp-incidents in 1 year!!
Most legendaries in one year!

Maybe less stats-chasing, and more there-and-then challenges would be in order...
One could always build a swimmingpool of some sorts, and figure out some fancy event.
Maybe hold a "which elf can survive the highest drop"-event. (alternatively, who can survive the most 5z-drops)
Or for the hardier souls: Who can suvive the most cave-ins!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »

Or drop a few dwarves in a carp filled pool with ramps at the opposite end, and see who gets out the fastest.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »

ya, they don't need to be faster then the carp, only faster then their friends.
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 01:09:11 am »

Nice to see this has gotten some interest.

I suppose you're allowed to mod for certain events. Like swimming races between different dwarves modding them with swimming skill of varying levels; or doing the swimming pool trick to train them, after a year, assign them to individual squads and make them go on a Point-A to Point-B back to Point-A race. Quickest dwarf wins.

Of course, we'll need at least 2 different classes for those kinds of competitions. N/A (Naturally aspirated / Natural skill/stat gain) or MOD (Modded Over Dorf) divisions. That way, we can have more fair and balanced competitions and scoring. And maybe a True Olympian Division for those of godly levels (like the dorf-gods previously listed). I'd like to see those compete in more recent competition style activities. I think Morul can at least do something fun during his retirement.

Oh, and more event ideas:
Adv. Mode Events
Quote from: Tower "Defense"
How fast and brutally can you plow through a dark tower? Castle for those of goblin nature (unless you're being a rebel).
Quote from: Caber Toss
How far can you toss a log? (Actually, it's much like the actual event itself).

Dwarf Fortress Mode Event
Quote from: Sinkhole
Event Type- Endurance (No Booze, No food, last as long as possible, or fixed time)
Fixed time (if the selected option): 1 season maximum
Skill Qualifications= Proficient Miner
Allowed equipment= as many picks as necessary, and 1 axe for any stray land that must be trimmed that has a tree upon it.
Team size maximum- 7; Solo, Duo, and 3-person teams are sub-divisions within the event
Quote from: Type A:
Human Town- Fixed time (1 season), how many settlements/houses can you flatten? Pit in which the settlements must fall inside equal in depth as the building is high. Scoring is based on neatness, speed, number of houses dropped, as well as the heights and number of kills.
Quote from: Type B:
Tower drop (Dark Tower)- How much deeper than the tower's height can you cleanly drop a goblin dark tower? Scoring is based on number of kills (more points the more important the figure involved or how thoroughly destroyed they are), neatness of execution (fewest additional spaces used for mining, and fewest/most stones collected from area), additional Z-depth from max-height of tower (tower is 6-Z, pit is 8-Z, therefore (-6 + 8 = 2 scorable points).
Quote from: Running of the Carp
Event Type= Skill
Team Size= Solo, Duo, or 4-person team; possible maximum of 7.
Environment- Player's choice (as long as it's recorded for evidence sake.), Shared map and citizens is also acceptable.
Qualifying skill level= Minimum- (Standard) Swimmer
Description: Draft a citizen and station them inside a carp-infested river (make sure there's at least a ramp at the beginning, checkpoints, or the end of the course). It is up to you to guide the citizen towards safety
To Score- Survive, Distance, Difficulty multiplier (# of carp / relevant skill levels of dwarf), times to finish (in frames)
Note: Must be recorded to qualify for scoring.

DF/Adv. Mode
Quote from: Biathlon
Event= Skill/Endurance
Environment= Shared map (someone designs a course, and participants must follow the exact course.)
Skill Qualifications= (Standard) Archery/Crossbow
Team Size= Solo (for Adv. Mode)
Description: Much like the event it's based on, a series of fortresses and a small traveling course must be made within the same region tile (up to 3 separate fortresses in the same region), have an archer/crossbow-user start from a start/finish fort, follow an assigned track to at least 2 separate fortresses in as short a time as possible, at each separate sub-fortress there will be 5 archery targets. Your adventurer must shoot from 15 tiles away. Each miss is a 100 (or 1000; I don't recall the time units in Adv. mode)-frame penalty. Best time wins.
Note: A recording of your efforts is appreciated/encouraged.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:32:23 am by Itnetlolor »