Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: You Know What I am sick of,...  (Read 7756 times)

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
Re: You Know What I am sick of,...
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

the best way to get new engravings is to do something new and cause havok (on yourself or others).
for example:
 stuff to do to goblins/elfes/humans(if you feel like it): drown in chamber; drop 20z levels to go splat; drop into pit with: bears, wolves, fire imps, alligators, gorillas, giant cave spiders, fire/magma men, megabeasts, etc;  release a giant eagle to drop them 20z levels; incase them in ice; encase them in obsidian, drop into magma pit, drop into bottomless pit/chasm; etc..... 
 material wise: farm new food goods and make stuff out of them if you havent, make artifacts, make various random crafts that you dont normally make.

needless to say, there are a lot of ways to get new engravings......
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:27 pm »

Well, I know that some of the traits do have an effect, even if subtle and hard to catch without observation.

For one, I've noticed that if I recruit a dwarf with an excellence trait that is really low, like in the 10's or single digits, they really lag behind. Its probably more noticeable with military because if you recruit at the same time, they generally advance at around the same rate. Any effect as a civillian is probably much more subtle. Cautiousness or nervousness may also have an impact, but not as heavy as excellence. Surprisingly, perseverance seems to have no effect on military training.

Toady mentioned that naturally lazy or distractible dwarves will take a bit longer to get anything from a drill lession. Sounds like school, lol. So, either its similar to what I've observed or more traits have been activated and now have an effect besides deciding what social skills they can or can't get xp on.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 12:51:11 am »

the best way to get new engravings is to do something new and cause havok (on yourself or others).
for example:
 stuff to do to goblins/elfes/humans(if you feel like it): drown in chamber; drop 20z levels to go splat; drop into pit with: bears, wolves, fire imps, alligators, gorillas, giant cave spiders, fire/magma men, megabeasts, etc;  release a giant eagle to drop them 20z levels; incase them in ice; encase them in obsidian, drop into magma pit, drop into bottomless pit/chasm; etc..... 
 material wise: farm new food goods and make stuff out of them if you havent, make artifacts, make various random crafts that you dont normally make.

needless to say, there are a lot of ways to get new engravings......

Hmm... but I really wish there was more control over this whole process.  My history is FILLED TO THE BRIM with elves dying...  almost all of them are random elves from the year 76 or something, who got slain in some unimportant assault having to do with the nearby goblin fortress.  It takes an awful lot of events in my fort to start displacing the "weight" of thousands of dead elves.  It seems like those events have equal probability of appearing as the things I do myself.  (Not that I particularly want to have my entire fortress plastered with images of the dogs I'm butchering...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]