Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good god, the catpocalypse has come.  (Read 1874 times)

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
Good god, the catpocalypse has come.
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:24 am »

My cat has just given birth to kittens.

This wouldn't be so significant if it wasn't the only cat on the damned map.

Asexual reproduction has been genetically adopted... the plan has been set into motion. ALL OUR FPS ARE BELONG TO CATS ;-;

Of course, exceptionally engraved depictions referencing said paradoxical and cataclysmic events or it didn't happen, so...

Spoilered because per usual of my images, they are hueg. (1680x1050)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the animals list, 2 pages long... No, there are no tomcats on my map, I'm playing on a nanofortress, I would notice something like that.

What in Armok's name is going on here..? WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

Oh, and no, my raws aren't tweaked, at least not for cats. I've never touched the cats raws, and I'm sure Dig Deeper hasn't either.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good god, the catpocalypse has come.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:10 am »

It would be strange if the only cat was male. ;)
In this situation it simply was already pregnant when it entered the map. Happens from time to time.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:54:12 am »

I have like 5 pages.Mostly dogs and horses, the majority of the cats were "proccessed"  ;)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:05 am »

I've had similar things happen, for example with a wild giant olm that was the ONLY giant olm on the map. However, I know merchants have brought giant olms before.

So, it seems like merchant animals can pass spores right through their cages.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

It would be strange if the only cat was male. ;)
In this situation it simply was already pregnant when it entered the map. Happens from time to time.

See, this would be understandable, except that it's been about 5 years since I embarked, and that was the one cat I embarked with.

It's also been proven that cats inside cages can't mate, so it's not from one of the Dwarven caravans bringing a Cat Cage to my Depot. Which they didn't, since I didn't request any, and I looked through the whole list each time they came...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:12:21 pm by Desiderium »

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »

When the dev talks about their cat as much as Toady does, pretty much any cat-related mechanic is suspect isn't it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »

Well, I think I found out the reason. But I have no clue in the world on how it was caused. I was beginning to get curious on how this even happened, so I opened up Dwarf Companion, and lo and behold, there were three cats that weren't on my Animal List. The really strange thing is that when I opened up their individual unit screen, two of their xyz coordinates read out as 0,0,0, and the third's coordinates read out as 13388,1,13387. They are all healthy, considered part of my civilization, and all, for some reason have the "leaving" tag checked on.

Screenie here.

I have no way of proving it, but I have an itching feeling it's because my map is 1x1. The itching feeling comes from the "leaving" tag...

Hmm.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »

I first it sounded like a migrant's pet that couldn't enter the map

but it has no name or owner

and it also not "caged" or traded so its not in a caravan

huh?
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!