Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get my hunter to take up a crossbow?  (Read 620 times)

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get my hunter to take up a crossbow?
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:48:42 am »

I've got this dorf, see? He's an animal dissector by trade, right? Only, there's no dissection needs doing, savvy? So I says to myself, I says "This dorf needs to pull his weight, right?" and I makes him a hunter.

So this dorf, he heads off after a muskox, punches it in the nose, and spends the rest of the season chasing it around the yard without so much as a bit of wood.

I laugh at this for a bit, but then, this dorf, without bringing back so much as a sandwich-worth of muskox, heads off to have a big dinner of roast and wine. He's eating and drinking, right? And he's a draw on all of his betters.

Well, I've no magma to drop him in, so I figure on making him a nice crossbow to take out with him on his next expedition. Urist McBowyer makes a crossbow, and Urist McCraftsdwarf makes some bolts from the inevitable turtles we've got lying around.

"Well" I figure, "That's sorted, at least. Now let's start building that water slide."

Only a few minutes later, there he is, chasing another muskox armed only with harsh words about the muskox in question's parentage.

So, I've got a bow and bolts. How do I get him to arm up and do his job?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my hunter to take up a crossbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:53:42 am »

Assign him the x-bow through the military screen, which is the m key then hit w to select his weapon type. I think the more he chases the animal the more his ambusher skill rises, but I'm not sure. It may be that him doing that is good training.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 03:00:23 am »

Wait, I can do that without activating him and having him whine about the draft? Does this similarly prevent folks from running terrified at the sight of an errant groundhog? I mean, how scared of a groundhog can you be if you've got steel plate trousers and an ornate axe?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:09:59 am »

No, it only works for hunters and woodcutters other than soldiers, sadly.
You win this round, magma.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:07:25 am »

Assign him the x-bow through the military screen, which is the m key then hit w to select his weapon type. I think the more he chases the animal the more his ambusher skill rises, but I'm not sure. It may be that him doing that is good training.

The other way that works for hunters (who can hunt with any weapon - having them hunt with a warhammer for a while can actually be handy if you have something easier than an elephant wandering around) is go to the dwarfs individual preference screen, select "hunting and soldiering" and from there select a weapon for him/her.

keystrokes are v, select dwarf, p, s.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:33 pm »

My hunters thank you muchly.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 05:39:13 pm »

What, nobody comments on the genius construction of the OP? I read it to myself in a Cockney accent and then lol'd heartily.

Also, I was unaware it was possible to make shell bolts, so I guess you mean turtle bone? As far as I can tell, dorfs don't consider wooden or bone bolts "live ammo" and thus won't use 'em on live targets, preferring to train with 'em instead. Make some metal ones, or that poor sod's gonna try to club the next muskox to death with the butt of 'is bow.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »

If there are no metal bolts to be had marksdwarves and hunters will use wood/bone with no complaint.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.