Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Mist Generator: Possible?  (Read 1636 times)

Chris_24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Mist Generator: Possible?
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »

Now, I've been sitting on this idea for a while now, waiting until I got back into dwarf fortress to test it. But I've been waiting for ages now so I thought I'd throw my idea out there and see if it was even possible.

So I was thinking:
Magma mist is generated by caving in a section of wall over magma.
So if I could find an easy way of making cave-ins I could make an automatic magma mist generator to kill enemies with. What I was planning on doing was making obsidian over magma with nothing to support it, causing a cave-in.

So something like this:

water->Pump->
                        <-Pump<-magma
                fiery death                 
                  magma

I suppose the main problem would be the obsidian sticking to some stone next to it but if I'm right that could be avoided. I should also say I've never made obsidian before so I'm most likely wrong. Still, worth a try, right?

Over to you :)

EDIT: and just under my thread is the "little questions" thread. Where was that when I needed it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:26:38 pm by Chris_24 »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Mist Generator: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »

I believe you can make magma mist by caving in an area into magma.

Provided you want to burn everything that touches it alive.
Enjoy your !!molten cat biscuits!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:18:50 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Chris_24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »

True, and thankyou for the fast reply, but I was hoping for a way to make it automatic - at the pull of a lever. Also, !!Omnomnom!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:01 pm »

Magma mist will be hard to generate where you want it, and more than likely the cave-in will kill more creatures than the magma mist, by way of drawing critters into magma.

However, you asked for a magma mist generator and a magma mist generator you will receive.

You will need an automatic reloadable cave-in generator. (Read the whole thread for all considerations you need to take in its construction.)

You will then need to put this in a place where you can drop cave-ins into magma without the obsidian plugging up the cave-in generator, so you'll have to put it over a magma pipe. Your best bet would be a pathway over magma with a single tile missing that the obsidian blocks can fall through.

Then all you need is goblins to walk over it, so you should probably wall off the pathway so that they don't get tossed into magma with each cave-in.

I think that's what you'll need to do. There are probably some pitfalls that I haven't considered.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:27:41 pm »

Or you could use a Spellcraft utility and place magma mist generating statues near your entrance :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Chris_24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

Ah, thankyou, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I expected someone to think of a similar thing first :)