Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible Spoiler - GCS  (Read 1177 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible Spoiler - GCS
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:48:57 pm »

This may be an easter egg or spoiler so i'm tagging it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:15:42 am by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Spoiler - GCS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:19:57 am »

Quote from: DF Wiki
These eight-legged beasts are not your ordinary harmless cave spider (those were just treats for your cat). Giant cave spiders are bigger than horses and will make treats of cats. . .

You lie Wiki-sir.

Would be a pretty cool easter egg if it is one, subtle one at that. I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.

Meanwhile...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You win this round, magma.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

Yeah, memory hacking is a line I'd rather not cross because at that point why don't I just fix that non-ice wall that's bugging me in that one room, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure if my modding caused this or if it's just an inherent behavior in one of the tags of one or both of these creatures and thus a "hidden" aspect of gameplay, an easter egg :) Anyone got any ideas or had similar experiences?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:12:35 am »

I've discovered the likely cause of this, check under the spoiler tag in the first post.
quib·ble

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:24:43 am »

This is a feature I've encountered before and hate with a passion. In case the reason isn't obvious, it's that cats will drop vermin corpses all over dangerous areas. They are free to come and go as they want, but they leave crap everywhere for your dwarves to get killed picking up.

I may edit cats out of the game when I play from now on, or just remove Verminhunter since it has soooo many undesirable, nearly gamebreaking side effects. Why didn't I do this before? God only knows.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:28:31 am »

cats will drop vermin corpses all over dangerous areas. They are free to come and go as they want, but they leave crap everywhere for your dwarves to get killed picking up.
Hence why the spiders keep them around: bait.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:40:39 am »

This is a feature I've encountered before and hate with a passion. In case the reason isn't obvious, it's that cats will drop vermin corpses all over dangerous areas. They are free to come and go as they want, but they leave crap everywhere for your dwarves to get killed picking up.

THAT'S what was killing all of my Peons?!?!

I recommend for your GCS problem how I fixed mine. I'm playing on the Map With Every Resource Ever as located through these forums, and I had a GCS and a hoard of troglodites on the corner of the map, minding their own business except for those suicidal hauling jobs. So I dug tunnels up to their hill, smoothed the stone, and poked a fortification right next to them.

My archer wound up getting near legendary status, and his name changed into this really long phrase, just from cleaning up random monsters... Then he got sniped by a goblin from downtown during a siege, a full on "Vile Force of Darkness" just for one guy, they just shot him from a mile away and left immediately, I've never felt so flipped off by a game before.

In any event... that thermonuclear catsplosion code is going back in. I was enjoying the vermin-free fortress, but until burrows allow me to deny hauling jobs, it's them or me.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:36 pm »

Hah. I had the problem on "Dwarf Heaven" too, but I wanted to capture the GCS :)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »

Well, I can easily get the cats out of my GCS pit by modding one of those two tags out for now, otherwise my only option is to open the entire pit up. It's blocked off from access by the following, most of which have levers:

Steel drawbridge (iron mechanisms)
☼Iron Floodgate☼ x2 (iron mechanisms)
Steel drawbridge (iron mechanisms)
☼Iron Door☼ x2 (locked)
Native Aluminum Wall (constructed)
Cage Trap x6 (iron mechanisms, ☼Iron Cages☼)
☼Iron Door☼ x2 (locked)
≡Iron Door≡ x2 (locked)
≡Iron Door≡ x2 (locked)
Steel Drawbridge (iron mechanisms)

I feel a little bad about laying open this minor secret of Dwarf Fortress since it's responsible for so much Fun but hey, we are scholars before we are Armok, right?
quib·ble