Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven radar  (Read 1176 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven radar
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:53:32 pm »

Code: [Select]
+++
+++  Z +2
+++

╬╬╬
╬d╬  Z +1
╬╬╬

.',
,I.  Z +0
;,'

My original plan was to build one of these every 10 or 20 tiles, a fair distance away from the fort proper, as an early warning system to at least let me know where the gobs are coming from. Then I realized gobs don't sneak so it'd be rather useless. (I haven't incurred sufficient elvish wrath either, yet).

I'm wondering, however, if this might be a little more useful against thieves when built somewhat closer to base and closer together. I'll build them regardless (I'm currently working on a megaproject), but I'm curious about your thoughts in the meantime.

Dwarven landmines (support + floor + pressure plate) might be a wee bit more useful versus sieges, hmm?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Dwarven radar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »

Dwarven landmines (support + floor + pressure plate) might be a wee bit more useful versus sieges, hmm?

Wouldn't stone fall traps be more effective? And safe for your dwarves?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:32 pm »

Collapsing floor landmines are more dwarfy and exciting, so shut yer booze-hole.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:19:51 pm »

Yes, undoubtedly, but that wouldn't be very dwarfy, would it? Oh holy balls you ninja'd me. Dwarven minds think alike.

Also, my champions (and the ones I'll start training once I finally get around to smithing them some armor) will be all the "effective" I need, but considering they're vastly outnumbered they need to neutralize enemy mobility. Landmines would do that reasonably efficiently, as one tile collapsing knocks out everything within a decent radius, right? (If necessary, I could increase the yield by expanding the 1x1 atop the support, perhaps to a 3x3.)

It'd be a lot less work for my masons and architects, and they'll be sufficiently far from base that they won't harm anything. And they should function as the early-warning system I wanted, as the game should pause and center the view on cave-ins, even artificial ones.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:45:59 pm »

as the game should pause and center the view on cave-ins, even artificial ones.
Does.

A section of the cavern has collapsed!  x6614

That was the result of a similar trap gone horribly horribly wrong.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:17:00 am »

Sounds like it went horribly right to me. :P
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:55:41 am »

What about just having the entire area around your fortress collapse several z-levels the moment anything trips a plate? Granted it'd kill most of your dwarves, but it'd also be incredibly awesome.