Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!  (Read 24925 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:41 am »

So ... ladders.

I'm guessing animals can't use them. So in other words you can fill a pit with animals and let them frollick. Climbing down to get them and returning up with slaughter animals - without ever worrying about them mingling with the pets. It's so much more fun than just shoving everything into a cage.

I had a stable system once. The idea was good. A bunch of pits with a series of closed doors. The idea was the above. Dwarves could come and go but animals stayed behind .. didn't work out. The children ran in and out of the stables all the time and released the animals. It was a complete failure.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 06:03:00 am »

Anything that has the intelligent or canlearn token, and has hands should be able to climb these ropes too. Otherwise you have yourself a completely inpenetrable front door, well... above door.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 06:12:33 am »

Anything that has the intelligent or canlearn token, and has hands should be able to climb these ropes too. Otherwise you have yourself a completely inpenetrable front door, well... above door.

Wouldn't that preclude monkeys?  It would probably be enough to say they must have the ability to [grasp].

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 06:24:21 am »

Wouldn't that preclude monkeys?  It would probably be enough to say they must have the ability to [grasp].

This could lead to Fun Monkey theives wielding their stolen items.
A rhesus macaque stole a Adamantine Hammer
Urist McEveryone has been struck down x500
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 08:01:37 am »

Jeez folks, just play some dwarf fortress in the meantime. ;)
*meep*

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:34 am »

The children ran in and out of the stables all the time and released the animals. It was a complete failure.
This made me smile.
*meep*

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 09:02:56 am »

Jeez folks, just play some dwarf fortress in the meantime. ;)

I am. :) I am experimenting with and building a miasma machine. At the moment it's food powered but it's my hope to have an infinite supply of miasma if I can get a zombie down there. Though I think the zombies rot completely and turn into skeletals if left outside in a warm climate ... so far the design is okay. It doesn't leak and a small room is filled with miasma.

It needs tweaking though since it's slow work to use food as fuel. Plus building destroyers (or tantrumers) can currently escape the construction by knocking over a grate and a door. I built in an observation window but it only freaks the dwarves out..

I am anxious to see the new release ;D with the whole "inhaled poisons" thing my miasma chamber might be incredibly fun!
I have an art blog now.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:01 am »

I have no issue waiting for the the current game to be merged with the 40d## information, because I enjoying having a fortress with more then 100 dwarves run a more then 30 fps
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »

Since nobody's bothering to say it, I should point out that this is now a non-issue.  Toady gave up on ropes and ladders and gave us the ability to build stairs down instead.

01/23/2010: For rope ladders/etc., I didn't want to tackle the two big issues there (pathing and multi-z buildings), so I went ahead with the quick fix, which is allowing you to build stairs most places, including down into an open area. When I get around to the proper solution, that ability will likely be removed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 01:57:12 pm »

Since nobody's bothering to say it, I should point out that this is now a non-issue.  Toady gave up on ropes and ladders and gave us the ability to build stairs down instead.

01/23/2010: For rope ladders/etc., I didn't want to tackle the two big issues there (pathing and multi-z buildings), so I went ahead with the quick fix, which is allowing you to build stairs most places, including down into an open area. When I get around to the proper solution, that ability will likely be removed.

Technically he postponed it. We won't see it in this release but it'll still come around.

So who else greatly enjoys reading the dev log? :)
I have an art blog now.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »

And some zombies. Because as we all [should] know, 1 in 4 zombies retain the coordination required to climb a ladder.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2010, 12:47:29 am »

^ ghfsda. Zombies are not agile. They are not smart, they can't climb things, and they definitely cannot use ladders. End of discussion.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2010, 04:22:08 am »

Oh come on. In the first zombie movie "night of the living dead" the first thing a zombie did was to use a rock as a weapon. Romero has since gone into great effort to explain how his zombies work in "day of the dead" and shows them communicating and using weapons in the much, much worse movie "land of the dead."

If you look at other interpretations we have the "infected" and they sure as heck can use ladders. Even zombie purists can't kill a debate like this off right at the bat.  :)
I have an art blog now.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2010, 04:29:26 am »

Zombies climbing ladders is fine... Its easier to hit them with the shotgun that way.  Or to drop boulders magma on them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]